Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Random Kindness

After his last Cub Scout pack meeting Hubba and I went to the Dollar Store so he could spend the dollar that he got from the tooth fairy.  I was impressed that he held on to that dollar for a whole two weeks because let me tell you, he was dying to spend it.

Hubba insisted on searching every inch of every shelf in the store in case there was something better down the next aisle. This kid was not going to spend his dollar until he knew he was getting the best that the Dollar Store had to offer a 9-year-old boy.  As he perused the merchandise in the store he painstakingly narrowed his purchase down to two items - a ninja set and a blow-gun that shot suction-cup darts.

He could not decide between these two treasures but he knew that he had to. I needed to pick up some treats in the candy aisle so I told him he had about a minute before we'd be at the register.  As I stopped in front of the candy wall I saw the thing that my little boy will remember for a good, long time.


Someone had left a dollar in a ziplock bag with this note:
Please enjoy this random act of kindness (you deserve it). Yes, it's for you!

To say he was excited would be an understatement.  This kid was ecstatic!  He kept questioning why someone would do this and who did I think it was and did he really get to keep the dollar? He went home that night with both of the toys he wanted as well as a huge smile on his face.  He couldn't stop talking about what had happened.  Everyone still gets to hear about it.  It's pretty amazing how much a dollar means to a 9-year-old boy, especially when it seemed to just magically appear.

I am thankful that there are people in this world who make time to do kind things for others.

3 comments:

Angela said...

oh that is so sweet

Pam Farley said...

That is AWESOME. I never would have made it past that box of Jujyfruits behind him, by the way.

Anaise said...

That's waaaaay cool . . . and kind of like karma because you've done stuff like that for others!!