Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Not Feeling The Love

Have you ever wondered what love looks like?

I filled an empty box with the love I have for my class of 4 and 5-year-olds and wrapped it all up to use as an object lesson in class last Sunday.

I started out by asking what they thought was in the box and I have never seen them so excited.

"A big puh-cuter!" yelled Super C.

"A pink stuffed pony (breath) that you can put in the bathtub with you (breath) and it doesn't get wet!" guessed Miss S.

"I dunno," Miss E. answered, quietly.

"A treat for all of us!" Hubba yelled.

"And what do you think?" I asked Miss L.

"I fink I know what it is but I'm gonna wait and see it foy-st." she responded.

"Fair enough," I told her.

I gave them a few hints:

It is not something you can buy with money.

You will not find it in a store.

It is not something you can hold in your hands.

You can not see it, touch it, taste it or smell it, but you can feel it.

"Anyone want to change their guesses?" I asked.

"Afto all yo cwues, I'm pwitty sho it is what I fink it is," Miss L told me.

"Let's just ho-wee and open it!" Super C. said, hardly able to contain his excitement.

So we did, and the room was silent at the sight of the empty box.
"What in the woyld?" whispered Super C. And then he looked up, his eyes wide as saucers, and yelled, "Someone stole ow tweets!"

"No, no, remember what I said, guys? You can't buy it. You can't touch it. You can't find it in a store... There is something in that box. It's love. I thought about how much I love you guys and I put all that love in this box and then wrapped it up so I could share it with you. Can you guys feel the love?" I asked.

"Not willy," answered Miss S.

"That was just wee-owed. They-o's nuffing in they-o!" Super C. lamented.

I turned to Miss L., my last hope. "Did you guess what it was before we opened it?"

She sighed. "I fought it was choco-wit chip cookies."



(Note to self: object lessons are often lost on 4 and 5-year olds.)

9 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

Cute. I was going to guess "darkness."

laura said...

Hilarious!

I love how you spell their accents.

Rebecca said...

Again, hilarious, and making me wish I could have that calling.

I love that picture of Hubba!!!

Gina said...

I am laughing pretty good. Maybe a change of callings is in order for me. I don't get those kind of reactions from my Young Women.

Teachinfourth said...

Evil?

Oh, I guess that can be bought.

BTW, I'm still laughing over this one.

Gerb said...

3U2- I guess that when the box was closed you would have been right...

Laura- Thanks! Each one has something unique about the way they speak. It's part of what makes them so endearing.

Bec- I still need a team teacher... and there are plenty of homes for sale in our area.

I'm just sayin'...

Gina- One of my favorite things to do in YW was treat them like 3-year-olds when they wouldn't stop talking. I'd whisper "If you can hear me, wiggle your fingers. If you can hear me, touch your nose. If you can hear me, fold your arms..." until they were all copying what I was doing and being silent. They all knew I was crazy. That may have helped, too.

T5th- For some reason I can't explain, I know Darth Vader will call your name.

annette said...

This was waaaaaaaay too funny! The humor was doubled when I realized that I knew everyone in your class! Classic! I wonder if you asked them to fill the box with "love", what they would think to put in it???

I love the way you tell your stories- capturing the way they speak and the reactions. You're the best!!!

Panama Jones said...

Yes, object lessons are definitely lost on 4-5 year-olds. And too many adults, as well.

Burns said...

Okay, I need to read your blog more often. This story was so funny! You're object lessons won't be lost on Super C because I'm saving this story to tell him later in life when he'll appreciate what a cool teacher he had!