Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Secret Ingredient

A friend of mine requested a post on my homemade pizza. She says I must have some kind of secret ingredient I use because hers doesn't turn out like mine when she makes it.

Well... she's right.

There is a secret ingredient I had not told her about previously... but I am ready to reveal what makes my pizza so amazing.

I start off with this simple recipe:

1 Tbsp yeast

1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp salt

about 3 cups flour

Mix all ingredients together in one mixing bowl (I use my Kitchenaid). Let the dough rise for a half hour then roll out onto desired pan. Add toppings and cook at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
While the dough is rising I get my toppings ready. Use whatever your family likes. Our pizzas include pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, pineapple, green pepper and plenty of cheese.
Plus the secret ingredient.

The above recipe times 3 is enough for me to make 3 regular sized and one jumbo sized pizza. I split the dough into 4 blobs and flatten each dough-blob on a pizza pan using my favorite kitchen tool... my hands.
Lay down some sauce, sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese over the top and then add a layer of mozzarella.
Cover the mozzarella with whatever toppings you've decided on...
Add another layer of mozzarella...
And bake.

Oh, I almost forgot. Did you notice the secret ingredient in the picture of all the toppings? Here it is:
Music.
That's right, I like to pretend I am acting out a scene from a musical as I prepare my pizzas.
When one of the kids come into the kitchen I improvise and add them into the scene. (I'm awesome with kitchen improv.)
Mr. Scarlata would be so proud to know that all of those classes in high school were not in vain.
I believe it gives the pizza some pizazz. Makes it a little more cultured. More diverse. More tasty.

Be sure to orchestrate a big finish for the best results...Now you try. Throw a little of my secret ingredient in the next time you make pizza and see if it doesn't make a difference.
(Thanks to ElemenoB for the cinematography)

15 comments:

Anaise said...

You are seriously too much fun! :)

rorymckm said...

i just made homemade pizza (everything from scratch) yesterday and i KNEW i was missing something! argh! it could have tasted so much better! *sighs heavily* now i know....

simplysarah said...

Wow, that pizza looks deLICIOUS!

Happy Hubby, JJ, Bugs, Nenie and Sadie Jo said...

I have only seen 7 brides for 7 brothers and annie. No wonder my pizza isn't that great - I am not cultured like you! Maybe you should give lessons. :)

Martha said...

I will definitely have to try this!!! Is it better with Rogers and Hammerstein classics, or with new stuff like Wicked?

Hello! said...

You are so awesome!

Lena the Teacher said...

Making Dinner, the musical! (Sing to the tune of kiss the girl from Little Mermaid)"Spread your toppings.. Spread them all around the pie! Come on just give it a try- I think you will like it! It won't take much work, give the sauce a spurt, go on and Make the pizza!"
Ok- so I am a little off with the lyrical stuff! I bet you could totally write a musical about being Gerb.

Rebecca said...

Lena, I love it! :) That's so Gerb.

Katelyn just watched Newsies for the first time, and now we've been hearing the music (and getting "Santa Fe" stuck in my head) every day since. Music downloads are awesome.

That show will always remind me of you, Gerb. I guess it's time to make pizza.

Gerb said...

Anaise- Why, thank you.

Rory- Try it next time. You'll be amazed at the added flavor!

Sarah- You're invited next time I make some...

Jen- Any musicals work... try singing 'Tomorrow' next time you make pizza and see what happens.

Martha- As long as you're willing to sing loud and strong it doesn't matter. I usually do songs from Wicked, Newsies, High School Musical, Guys and Dolls, Les Miserables or Little Mermaid. But I think any songs will do.

Hello- Thank you very kindly.

Lena- I think you're on to something...

Bec- I appreciate you allowing Katelyn to watch the musical I love that you are not so fond of. It shows what a good friend you are. And just to be sure... you realize Christian Bale is Jack Kelly, right? Are you having a change of heart?

Anonymous said...

That.was.brilliant.

How can one become you?

Gerb said...

Anon- Thank you! And...

Remove the 'n' and 'e' from one, then add a 'y' and 'u' in the proper places. Presto!

Gina said...

I really, really, really, really wish I didn't read this blog at 9:13pm tonight. I can't even handle myself. I NEED homemade pizza right now. I may just have to chaw on a frozen pepperoni instead. Pizza is definitely on the menu this week. I won't forget the music.

Chelle! said...

Deliciousness!!! Are we having pizza a young women's camp?

Gerb said...

Gina- How was the pepperoni popsicle?

Chelle- We would, but no electronics are allowed at camp. If the girls and I don't have something to sing along to it just won't turn out as good. But we could have pizza at one of our before-camp leader meetings! When's the next one? I like bringing refreshments.

Cee Tindall said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who 'plays' in the kitchen! This pizza recipe sounds just scrumptious! Thank you for sharing this with us!