Saturday, April 4, 2009

We Had It Covered

When we were kids, Sundays were sacred. That is to say, they were the day for our Mom to have some much needed "me" time. This was accomplished by sending the 4 of us off to the local Lutheran church for a sermon and some Sunday school.

I will never forget the week that all 4 of us kids were infected with chickenpox. It was in the middle of a solid Iowa winter when snow sat in a thick blanket on the ground. As Sunday rolled around we assumed we would be staying home, but mom had a plan which enabled us to attend our Sunday services as usual... we would wear our snowsuits.

She bundled us up in our warm winter wear, the type that covers your face completely except for a small, open window where the eyes can peek through. We were then instructed to leave our snowsuits on during church, thus enabling us to participate without anyone knowing of our (contagious) calamity.

All was going well until we started to squirm. And sweat. But the snowsuits remained on, fully zipped and hiding the red, itchy blisters that covered our bodies.

"Do you want to take those off?" we were asked.

"Nope. We like 'em." was our united response. We had orders.

When we got home we peeled off our winter wardrobes and stood there in the living room dripping with sweat like 4 kids who had been caught in a rainstorm, hands immediately reaching to the places that screamed for a good scratching.

We were later rewarded at the kitchen table with pecan-caramel rolls as mom downed a Pepsi (with peanuts).

The next week at church there was a strange shortage of attendees in the children's Sunday school, but you better believe we were there, singing "I'm In The Lord's Army". With gusto.

(And without snowsuits.)

8 comments:

Happy Hubby, JJ, Bugs, Nenie and Sadie Jo said...

I giggled as I read this. In first grade Kimberly Hampton was sitting next to me. She said "teacher, I have chicken pox". Teacher said "does your mother know? Why are you here?" Then Kimberly Hampton said "my mom told me that all of the other mothers would be grateful I was at school with chicken pox".

We had only 11 students in our class photo that year. (out of 35 students)

What great memories of our 70's/80's style unvaccinated childhood - our parents would be outcast in this day!

Rebecca said...

Hilarious. I can't believe how obedient you were! I'm not sure I wouldn't have minded as well...

Too bad my kids are all vaccinated, because my memories of my own case of chicken pox are nothing but pleasant! I had a really mild case, and all I remember is skipping school, taking oatmeal baths, and having plays dates and hot-tubbing with my friend who was also infected. Good times. :)

simplysarah said...

So, when are you going to write a book about your life? I would like a copy. I'll even pay for it...whether or not it fits into my one-book-a-month purchasing plan. ;)

Mom not Mum said...

LOL That is priceless. My mother and the 3 other siblings that made up her "group" when she was a child (they were the youngest of 13) all managed to get chicken pox at the same time, of course. Her mother was DISGUSTED at the nerve of them to get chicken pox on EASTER! One of the 2 sundays a year the entire family went to church. There is a fantastic picture of my mom and her 2 younger brothers and 1 younger sister standing miserably in their Easter clothes outside because at LEAST they were going to wear them once and get a nice picture! Hahaha

Queen Scarlett said...

You are hilarious...

annette said...

I remember this song from Vacation Bible School! The advantge of growing up in the bible belt is my friends went to primary w/me, I went to VBS with them! (I know we have a lot of things in common, but I would have never thought this song would be one of them!)

Contageous even w/snow suits on! Who'd of guessed?

Michelle said...

And this is for real?!?!

You poor kid.

By the way, I can't stop laughing.

tiamosteph said...

LOL! I am so laughing at this post!