Sunday, November 1, 2009

Giving Thanks


I'm jumping on the bandwagon and posting every day for the month of November. I will post about something I am thankful for everyday until Thanksgiving... but for the days after Thanksgiving, it's free game.

Actually, the whole month is free game, but I promise to try. If I post everyday, I am going to give myself some sort of award or something because frankly, I'll deserve it.

Today I want to tell you how thankful I am for unintended humor. It's something that happens a lot in our home, and today was no exception.

I went downstairs to get the kids up from their Sunday nap so we could head over to dinner with some cousins. All-a-Boy was wearing shorts so I reminded him that it was no longer summer and told him that he needed to get some pants on. He grumbled and griped because his one pair of favorite jeans without holes were grass-stained. I pulled out a brand new, never worn pair of khakis from his drawer and told him to wear those. He grumbled and groaned and pulled them on to just below his buttocks and proclaimed that they were too big. I made him pull them up... a perfect fit! He then admitted that he hated khakis and would never have let me buy them when we were school shopping except that he just wanted to make me happy. I told him that if he just wanted to make me happy then he needed to wear the pants to dinner.

In true All-a-Boy fashion he rolled his eyes, gave an exasperated sigh, and asked, "What, am I going to see the President of the United States or something?"

"Yeah, All-a-Boy," I answered. "All 10-year-old boys in their t-shirts and khakis are ready for a formal evening with the president." Then I could no longer contain my laughter over his remark... and he rolled his eyes and tried to hide that he realized how silly it was, too.

In the end, he wore the khaki pants to dinner. If the President decided to show up, I'm sure he would have been pleased.

5 comments:

Anaise said...

Unintended humor . . . yup, it makes the world go 'round . . . or at least I think it's why we keep having kids--they're just chock full of unintended humor.

Teachinfourth said...

What about wearing them on Monday? He just might see the Emperor...

Corine said...

I love it! :D What a great sense of humor. :) - I also like the idea of posting something you are thankful for every day this month... fun!:D I may have to coppy you on that one. :)

Rebecca said...

Humor in life is at the top of my thankful list, too. I don't really care who makes me laugh, I just love to giggle.

hintonrae said...

Boys.

Lawson likes to attempt to scoot out the door with shorts on each morning, too.