Friday, November 6, 2009

Duplication Is The Sincerest Form Of Fattery

above photo from thesweettoothfairy.com - all other photos by me

When I discover a treat that I cannot get enough of, I usually try to duplicate it. For example, Double Fudge Cake Bites from The Sweet Tooth Fairy. The first time I ventured into their shop I was offered a sample of these little morsels of heaven and my taste buds screamed with joy! I knew I had to make them on my own to appease my sweet tooth. A wonderful friend sent me a recipe discovered online and within a few days I was working at making my own little sweet treats.

Bake the cake, crumble it up, add some frosting, roll the mixture into cute little cake ballies...


And make sure you have ALL DAY to do it, because it's not as easy as it sounds. Freeze the cake balls for a while, then attempt to chocolate-coat them...


(I couldn't get the chocolate thin enough to look pretty.)


Yet, still... the end result? Delicious!

But not quite the same. (*sigh*)

I think the next time I go in I'll ask if I can borrow the Sweet Tooth Fairy's wand. (Do you think that could be her secret?)

After a few vain attempts, I have realized that my cake bites will never be like the Sweet Tooth Fairy's. And so today...

I am thankful that the bake shop which holds the magical recipe to create these sinful delights is just down the street.

10 comments:

rorymckm said...

i'm glad a "real" person tried to make those! i saw them on bakerella.com and have been itching to give them a go. the dipping part seems to be the hardest part (i'm never any good at that). thanks for posting the sweet tooth site....i haven't seen that one before! :)

Deb said...

Yum! I have tasted these...not sweet tooth ones but ones that were at a baby shower. I had heard about them from someone at church who had them at a birthday party. Ends up the same lady made them for both events!

Blogful said...

www.bakerella.com. Apparently there is a big difference between "chocolate melts" and "candy melts." I would have done like you with items on hand. They look delicious!

Gerb said...

Rory- I read Bakerella sometimes just to marvel over her creations but in all honesty, I could never duplicate them as nicely. Her little cakes-on-a-stick are amazing!!

Deb- Believe it or not, the ones from the STF are seriously magical. If you're ever in Utah, you NEED to try one. Or 6.

Blogful- Hmmm. I just bought those huge chunks of chocolate that you melt. Maybe I should do some reading up and give it another go? Nah. Too time consuming. I'll let TSTF bake 'em up for me instead.

Corine said...

LOL to the max! :D I can associate! I'm sorry, but I too sometimes make "less glorious" looking food; but hey ...it still tastes great! :D

PS Is it possible to get the recipe? :)

Richard & Natalie said...

They look delicious to me, but then again, most anything dipped in chocolate does.

Richard & Natalie said...

Okay...that last comment does not read how I meant it. I hope you know that. Sorry. They look delicious and I'm wishin I had one. I will have to try out the Sweet Tooth Fairy. I hear so many good things about them.

Corine said...

Hi. I just got back on to see if you said anything - and noticed that they actually look REALLY GOOD - It was simply the color of the chocolate that looked "less glorious" than the others.

Looks like a ton of work; What a great homemaker. :) I'm sure your family is very happy with you today! :D

Anonymous said...

I liked them.But don't forget the 'secret ingredient' we talked about...

Sarah said...

I don't like chocolate, but I still think these look VERY tempting! I would try one, just for you! And I think they look very pretty! (my word verification is breads, looks like food is on everyone's mind!)