Monday, November 30, 2009

Girl's Basketball


ElemenoB made it onto the freshman team at her high school and today was their first game. I went to watch, somewhat excited to get a feel for what to expect this season.

It was not pretty.

First, let me say that the girls on ElemenoB's team seemed to be playing well and having fun. The coaches were encouraging and happy. To me, that's what sports should be all about.

The other team, as well as their spectators and coaches, were not so... what is the word? Courteous? Sportsman-like? Those don't quite work. Let me put it this way: the coaches loved to scream at the girls on their team, specifically the ones who were playing well. Especially pink-sweater-lady coach, who also took delight in telling the referees how dumb all of their calls were. That lady has some sort of issues going on in her life that just make her an angry person. I wasn't sure if she just needed a hug or to have someone tell her that everything's gonna be all right (rockabye).

The girls on the opposing team would yell in our girls' faces when they were blocking them (is that what it's called? Blocking? Guarding? Tackling?) or if they were trying to get the ball away from them. Things like BALLBALLBALLBALL!! or DENYDENYDENYDENY!! What the heck is that all about?

The home team's spectators would yell and scream and stomp their feet anytime someone on our team was shooting a free-throw, but if we did the same when their team was shooting, we got dirty looks and glares from every 13 and 14 year old tough guy in the gym. I was like, what? Why can't we be friends? We should all be friends. And all I got back was *glare, glare*.

If you are laughing at me at this point, fine. Go ahead, laugh. I know what you are thinking. Basketball is a competitive sport, Gerb! They're supposed to tackle each other and be jerks and yell and glare at everyone. Well, I don't like it when people are mean, sports or not.

This is SO hard! I want to be supportive of ElemenoB's new endeavor, but I feel SO uncomfortable around mean people!

I think I may have a solution, though. Sort of a Pay-It-Forward for girl's basketball.

Do any of you out there know the coach for Orem Junior High's freshman girls' basketball team? (I SO wish I had brought my camera so I could show you a picture! She was so pretty, but she'd be a whole lot prettier if she smiled once in a while.) If you do, could you do me a big favor? Give her a huge, squishy hug the next time you see her and compliment her on her pink sweater. Then ask her if she'd like to talk about what it is that makes her so mean and angry. Once you're done with your heart-to-heart and she's gotten it all out, give her another hug and then ask her to do the same for one other coach or player who seems mad at the world. I'm hoping this will have the effect of eventually increasing my comfort level at girl's basketball games because everyone will be nicer.

If she refuses or resists or gets in your face, could you do something else for me? Get as close to her as you can, look sweetly into her eyes and then yell at the top of your lungs,

"BALLBALLBALLBALL!!!!"

Thanks. (SO much.)

15 comments:

Gina said...

So stinkin' funny. They are 13 and 14. Amen.

Rebecca said...

I do have a couple of OHS connections. I'll see what I can do...

Rebecca said...

Just to be clear, my connections to that school are NOT mean people. I don't want to be mistakenly associated with those you described.

Richard & Natalie said...

Way to take things into your own hands...or should I say arms?
I hope it gets better- for your sake and the girls.

Anaise said...

I agree, mean people are hard to be around! I so hope the rest of the games are better than this one.

Have fun, ElemenoB! Just have fun!

Katie said...

Hahahaha!!! I used to be one of those girls yelling ballballball!! The coach would totally get in our faces if we didn't. Eventually you grow out of that stage and just play.....(it's a scare tactic).
Whatever you do, make sure you still go and support ElemenoB. Just bring some earplugs and watch the coaches that are supportive to their teams. That's what I would do when I was irritated with everything that goes on during basketball games.
Good luck!

Rache5 said...

That was hilarious!! I hope you succeed in find this coach and "paying it forward". I'd love to see her reaction :) She shouldn't behave that way or encourage her team to either--have sports really come to such a low place as this and is it really worth it?

Amber said...

Maybe we should all send her loving Christmas cards in care of the school. She sounds like she could use some holiday cheer.

GaeLynn said...

Try going to a girls basketball game where your husband yells at the refs and gets kicked out of the game. Now that's tons of fun!

Gerb said...

Gina- I KNOW! Let them have some fun for goodness sakes!

Bec- I can't wait to see what your nice connections can do. I really think a hug would do her wonders...

Natalie- ElemenoB says it's just the nature of the game but I say that if I can bring a bit of love into the equation perhaps I can quell some of that meanness that is much too common.

Anaise- I hope this was just an extreme example. I guess we'll see...

Katie- Thanks for the advice. You and Ashley don't seem like mean jerks... I can't picture either of you being jerk-faces on the court!

Rache5- I think next time I go to a game I'm bringing cookies. Enough for everyone. The opposing team, their coaches, the spectators... because who can be mad when there are cookies, you know?

Amber- I am SO loving that idea. I'll bet she could use a little Christmas cheer! I may send a few hundred myself. I'm seriously mulling that one over in my mind...

GaeLynn- As Neve would say, "What the...?" You're experienced in this stuff... is it NORMAL? Because it makes me uncomfortable. I want holding hands and singing Cum-Bay-a at the end of a game, ya know?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the cheerleading squad coach from Glee, if you really want my honest opinion. I think she could use a hug, too.

Mom not Mum said...

It isn't just limited to girl's basketball. At my son's game yesterday the dad behind me was yelling at his son non stop. Towards the end he turns to his wife and says "why is Ben sitting on the bench crying?" Hmmm probably because he doesn't want to go home and get a play by play of every step he made that you yelled at him for on the court.

I just can't stand the poor sportsmanship. It's really hard on the kids too when they play by the rules and then find that others don't.

Gerb said...

Anon- I'm constantly amazed by the things that come out of that woman's mouth. Next time I see her, I will hug her. Promise.

MnM- Parents, coaches, and athletes need to learn that good sportsmanship is the most important thing in all of this. Honestly, when a coach yells at one of their athletes to foul someone out, what are they trying to teach? Pushing people around gets you what you want? I have a hard time with this.

NoSurfGirl said...

Lol.

if I ever meet her, I will.

stamptherapy said...

It's ok not to glare - I was once a glarer until I read this scripture and now I can't glare without feeling awful about it. Prov 6:16-17 (the first one).