Saturday, November 28, 2009

5 Minutes

I have 5 minutes before this day is over.

I said I would post everyday this month, and I'm a woman of my word. But I have no ideas.

I learned to do "free-writes" in some English class a long time ago, which is where you just write whatever pops into your head for a set amount of time. This is a free-write...

Yesterday we poured 6 yards of concrete around the borders of our property. I helped with setting the forms

(forms set, before concrete)

and doing the finish work once the "big, swirly truck" (as ElemenoB so articulately named it) came and dumped the concrete for us.


We were out there all day. When I am taught to do something for the first time, I am something of a perfectionist. Allen kept telling me I needed to think quantity, not quality, but I couldn't help myself. It was like smacking down a pile of mud with a trowel and then frosting a cake, nice and smooth. And it seemed to stay pretty mushy for quite awhile so I kept taking my sweet time... until it came down to the wire. Then the concrete was hardening before I could get to it. I had to spray it down and exert more elbow grease to get those sections pretty. By the time we were finished my whole body ached. Lesson learned: I would never choose to have a profession like concrete masonry. But when I went out this morning to see how everything set up overnight, I was quite impressed with myself.

(after)

I own this stretch of footings, as well as some along the west side.

I am woman! (rawr.)

10 comments:

Richard & Natalie said...

RAWR! indeed. Is there anything you can't do woman? I am very impressed.

Gina said...

Wohoo!

Gerb said...

Natalie- Thanks for being impressed, but there is plenty I can't do... I can't play the piano and a host of other musical instruments. I can't make decisions. I can't dance in a coordinated fashion. I can't gain weight... or wear spandex (well, I CAN wear spandex, but: gross!!). I can't tan anymore. I can't play team sports. I can't tightrope walk. I can't get mad at my kids when they are laughing. I can't roll my tongue into that weird taco shape or wiggle my ears or raise one eyebrow. I can't knit or crochet. I can't potty train my 3-year-old. I can't stand the arrogance of cats. I can't help most of my kids with their math homework anymore. I can't snow ski, skydive or waterboard. I can't run more than 4 minutes without stopping to walk.

I could go on... but I think you get the idea. ;)

Gina- Yeah!

Teachinfourth said...

Suddenly, I'm so no longer impressed...

Just kidding. Who needs to do any of THOSE things anyhow? I agree totally about the cats as well...put them all in a bag and shoot them in a rocket off to Mars.

Richard & Natalie said...

Gerb, I want to know... Have you really ever tried to tightrope walk? ;)
I agree with TF, who needs to do those things anyways.
About the cats though, I am not defending them; we have one that on most days I would love to send to Mars, but I've always thought it was more 'self confidence' than 'arrogance'. I could be wrong, but...

Gerb said...

T5th- Amen, brother!

Natalie- I am embarrassed to say that yes, I have tried tightrope walking. And it is most certainly not for me. And regarding cats, their 'self-confidence' is just seeing the glass half full. When it comes to cats, my glass is almost always half empty. Call it what you will, cats just bug me.

Richard & Natalie said...

Noted- Gerb is not a cat person. Hide Tiger if she comes over. :)

ablackman said...

I believe the word ElemenoB used to describe the truck was "twirly".

Have you tried waterboarding?

And WOMAN, thanks again for all the RAWR-ing you did to that concrete.

Gerb said...

Natalie- If I ever come over I will pretend to not be bothered by cats as I also believe in the idea that 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do.' I'm sure Tiger and I would get along just fine. (or so it would appear.)

Blackman- Twirly. Right.
Waterboarding: yes.
Rawring: you're welcome. Thanks for teaching me.

Rache5 said...

Great job, that's impressive! How exciting for you guys to have a fence! I know it's hard work, I've witnessed that first hand and am glad that he doesn't do it anymore as it sure takes a toll on your body!