Sunday, November 8, 2009

Heroes


Last week I was having a discussion with my Sunday class of 4-5 year olds about who their heroes are.

BatMay-un, SpydoMay-un and even Hannah Muntana were mentioned.

To clarify, I asked them to think of people they would want to be like, those whom they looked up to and thought were amazing.

BatMay-un, SpydoMay-un and SooPaGul were named.

I explained further that Superheroes were, in fact, amazing, but not real people. Could any of them name any real people who were their heroes?

"Is Hannah Muntana for weals?" asked J~.

"Sort of," I answered. "But I mean people who you guys actually know. People who you talk to and see all the time. Someone who does nice things and loves you."

"I KNOW!" shouted Super C. "You is my he-wo, Sisto Bwack!" And all of the other munchkins were quick to agree.

And so, although that wasn't quite the answer I was looking for, I left it at that. Because even if it was just a response to butter me up some, it may have choked me up a little.

Today I am thankful that the funniest, sweetest little people in the neighborhood are my friends. And really - my heroes.

5 comments:

Corine said...

This is interesting, because I was just about to write a blog about a response my daughter got today as she asked the same question to her class of kids. I think I shall still! Don't think I stole the idea from you! LOL

That really is cool. I think you're a hero too (you and J-both :D) for making my day so frequently by commenting on my blogs. :) Thanks! :D

Amber said...

I think you make a good hero. Your superhero name could be Mister Bwack. You already have awesome super powers like bargain shopping and making life fun.

Anaise said...

I'll bet they DO try to be like you--you ARE their hero!

Sweet little angels.

Katie said...

Awww...I love little kids. They really know how to make your day... :P

Richard & Natalie said...

That is really sweet. It is those little experiences that have me missing Primary already- and I've only been released a week.
Thanks for sharing.