Friday, December 4, 2009

$20? $20! Do I Hear $25...


I'm not sure how many of you have heard the story of the recent tragedy at the Nutty Putty Caves here in Utah. I'm not sure why it has affected me so much or why I can not stop thinking about what happened. We do not know John Jones or any of his family. Perhaps it was because Coolister had just been to the cave the week before and returned, along with his scout crew, with stories of excitement and adventure. Maybe it is because Allen and I were following the story online as soon as we discovered that someone was stuck in the cave.

We went to bed the night before thinking that the morning would bring news of a rescue and were shocked to learn that he had died. It weighed on me for the following few days and still makes my heart heavy to think about what happened and how this unexpected turn of events is affecting his family - specifically his young daughter and his wife who is expecting their second child next year.

It is one of those times when I really wish there was something I could do to help, but feel completely helpless... until yesterday.

My friend Rebecca posted on her blog about an online auction being held to raise funds for John Jones' widow and children. This is how I can help. And I wanted to pass the word along.

Just visit the online auction here, find something you want for yourself or maybe as a Christmas gift for someone else, and place a bid. New items will be posted until December 7th, so you can shop all week, all the while helping someone in need.

It's a win-win situation. So click over there and buy some stuff!

By the way, the warm fuzzies you'll get are free.

5 comments:

Richard & Natalie said...

I have felt similar feelings about the whole situation too and now I can do something about it. Thanks for passing it on.

Gerb said...

The whole thing is heart wrenching, isn't it? I honestly can't imagine losing my husband - let alone while visiting another state - let alone when I thought he was just going for an adventure with his family... I could go on and on. This auction is probably just a small thing in the grand scheme of what she's going through, but it's nice to feel like I can do something. Thanks for joining me.

Angela said...

yes it was a sad story. That blog that you had us click on of the daily scoop I look at that all the time. She is on a list of angel babies and their blogs. What a small world that you know that blog too. What a great time of year to give. Thanks...

NoSurfGirl said...

Was deeply affected by this, too. My dad's a caver, and a lot of my family.

Gerb said...

Angela- It IS a great time of year to give.

NSG- It breaks your heart, doesn't it?