Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thinking Too Much

(photo from softpedia.com)

I am sitting here on my bed watching the fat, lazy flakes of snow swirling around as the frigid wind catches them and takes them on a roller-coaster ride. It makes me think.

A thought can get trapped in my brain and swirl around in there, growing larger as more ideas attach to it. I can almost feel some thoughts as they accumulate and grow heavier, taking up more space than I want them to.

Here is a recent example which grew increasingly larger over a few days' time...

I started with this thought: If I could have or do or be anything for an entire day, anything I wanted, what would I choose? Would I want time to myself or would I choose to have/do/be with others? Should I choose something selfish or something that would benefit those around me?

And then it grew: What if it was for a week? A month? A year? Would my choices be any different?

And turned into this: How about if it was for the rest of my life?

Which brought on this conclusion: Shouldn't that be what I'm choosing right now? Am I?

Sometimes I just think that I think too much.

4 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I can't see you being 'selfish' for any prolonged length of time. You'd spend a little bit of the time on your own, and then you'd spend the rest of it with others.

That's the kind of selfless person you are.

annette said...

"Shouldn't that be what I'm choosing right now? Am I?" What do you think?

As the Cheshire cat once said to Alice...
Alice: I was just wondering if you could help me find my way.
Cheshire Cat: Well that depends on where you want to get to.
Alice: Oh, it really doesn't matter, as long as...
Cheshire Cat: Then it really doesn't matter which way you go.

Anaise said...

I got to stare at lovely, fat, Spring snowflakes on Saturday (only ours arrived after 6 hours of hail, sleet, and freezing rain). I was less philosophical than you were--I was thinking "Gee, I hope my cabbages and lettuces don't die . . ."

But I think that if we had the time to use any way we wanted--wouldn't we do just what we do now? Motherhood--in all it's variety.

sammisue said...

your right you do think too much you and teachinfourth. but its good for someone to think that way and i know what you mean. i get an idea or thought and it grows into something so big i just have to talk to someone about it or do something about it before my brain explodes.