Monday, March 2, 2009

CSI: Buddy Edition - The Final Conclusion

If you're not sure what this is all about, read HERE (my last post) first.

The story continues...

I searched every inch of the basement for our fine feathered friend, to no avail. I searched every corner and possible spot upstairs and still couldn't find Buddy anywhere. I decided to face the inevitable: Buddy was no longer with us.

As I washed the breakfast dishes I thought about how to break the news to Cowgirl. Perhaps a note from Buddy? Maybe we could just get another blue parakeet and she'd never know the difference? Or there was always telling her the truth. I wasn't sure what to do... and then I heard it.

Little parakeet noises. Chirping that sounded like it was coming from inside somewhere. I searched the cabinets. I looked inside the dishwasher and stove. I investigated the kids' cubby beneath the counter. Nothing. But I kept hearing him sing.

Was it a ghost-Buddy?

Was I going crazy? (Don't answer that.)

I called Allen at work and told him what I was hearing. He offered suggestions as to where I might look and then decided to come home to help in the search.

I pulled the dishwasher out from its space in the cabinets just as Allen arrived. The chirping grew louder.

"He's in there, I know it!" I said, pointing to a cavity between the sink cupboard and the dishwasher. And then, as if on cue, out he jumped.

Mystery solved. He was playing hide-and-seek.

How did he get in there? Here's Allen's guess (from his comment on my first entry about this whole adventure) :

I think he landed on the kitchen floor and was drawn to the warmth of the heater vent under the sink. Upon closer inspection, he found that he could hop up into the overhang of the cabinet and hang out in the cavity between the dishwasher and the compartment under the sink. Once there, he couldn't get out because he didn't know how.

So, as much as I hate pets and threaten to get rid of him, welcome back to the cage Buddy.

And P.S... You better not do anything stupid like that again.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think Buddy has earned a new nickname. Something like "Lucky" or "Sneaky" or "Survivor".

Maleen said...

You are so lucky. The only thing I have found between my cupboards was a black widow (and yes, we spray every season now).

pam said...

Phew! Glad the story had a happy ending.

annette said...

Welcome back Buddy! I'm sure glad you were found!

Gerb said...

Bec- I prefer "stupid" but then my kids might start saying it...

Maleen- I also found 2 crayons and a nail clipper. It was good times all around, I tell you!

Pam- Same here. I was actually getting pretty excited at the prospect of no longer having the bird cage around, but in the end it's all good.

Annette- He says "chirp, chirp".

Teachinfourth said...

I think the note would have been a fantastic idea...he could've said he was going to live with the Tooth Fairy...