Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ready To Fly

A couple years back Allen and I went to a Richard Marx concert with some family. We saw it advertised and thought it would be fun to relive the memories of those classic 80's songs! It was also fairly inexpensive as it was held at a smaller outdoor venue that was just one city over.

We went with almost no expectation except for the hope that he would play a good number of the old songs we had all known as teenagers. We were not disappointed - his rapport with the crowd was amazing and he played every song we could remember as well as a few of his more recent compositions.

One of his newer songs, Ready To Fly, struck a chord with me. It speaks of the power we each have inside - one that often goes untapped. I loved the message in the lyrics as well as the music that accompanied it.

Ready To Fly by Richard Marx
I've been trying to open the door To the secret of my destiny
And every new road I think is the one Seems to lead right back to me

I've looked for a way to be wiser A way to be strong
Now I see the answer was hiding In me all along

Chorus:
And I'm ready to fly Over the sun
Like a rocket to heaven And I'm ready to soar
Right through the sky Never dreamed I'd find something to lift me so high
I've always had wings But I wasn't ready to fly

Restless, hopeless, and misunderstood
Like so many others I know
So busy tryin' to keep holdin' on When I should've been letting go

I was given the gift to find it The spirit inside me
But I never really imagined All I could be

Chorus:
And I'm ready to fly Over the sun
Like a rocket to heaven And I'm ready to soar
Right through the sky Never dreamed I'd find something to lift me so high
I've always had wings But I wasn't ready to fly

The answer to all of my wonder Was right in my hands
Now it's time for me to discover All that I am

Chorus:
And I'm ready to fly Over the sun
Like a rocket to heaven And I'm ready to soar
Right through the sky Never dreamed I'd find something to lift me so high
I've always had wings But I wasn't ready to fly

I've always had wings Now I'm finally ready to fly

1 comment:

Holmes said...

How did you know I needed to hear this song today? Thanks!