Sunday, March 8, 2009

Not For The Squeamish

I do not consider myself a picky eater.

However, I can not understand one food: cream of celery soup.

I will never use it when preparing a meal. Why would I? What in the world is its purpose? (I submit that it has none except to disgust people the whole world over.)

Who came up with this stuff? Does anyone really use it? I mean, seriously - when we have cream of mushroom and cream of chicken available - why use something called cream of celery?

Don't get me wrong here. I have nothing against celery itself. Top it with peanut butter or cream cheese and it makes a great snack. Dip it in ranch and it tastes like crunchy, stringy water dipped in ranch. Which is not all bad.

And celery in soup? I do that all the time. I buy the fresh stuff and chop it up and it makes my potato or chicken noodle soup mighty tasty.

But cream of celery soup? The words cream and celery and soup were just not meant to be together.

Period.

Can we still be friends?

8 comments:

cari said...

totally agree.

Diane said...

Me too. Never been even tempted to buy that stuff!

annette said...

Just like cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, it's great in some casseroles. I combine it w/cream of chic. in a Chineesey rice casserole dish that's really quite yum. I can't think of any other use though.

Gina said...

This calls for a recipe tag. I tag everyone (from your blog...hee hee) to come up with ONE good cream of celery soup recipe. Let's just put it to the test.

Gerb said...

GINA!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! There is no possible recipe that could make this soup worth it.

It all started back when I was a kid and it was the only thing on the pantry shelf... but I guess that's a post for another time. Suffice it to say:

I will not eat in in my house.
I will not eat it with a mouse.
I will not try that slimy goop!
I will not eat cream of celery soup!
I do not like that nasty stuff!
So Gina, STOP IT! That's enough!

Katie said...

But you will eat cream of mushroom? Ew.

Both are alright when hidden in a recipe, but I would eat neither one as a soup.

Gerb said...

Katie - Cream of mushroom and cream of chicken were created for one reason only: casseroles. I think they're kidding when they put "soup" on the label because does ANYONE eat it that way? Come on.

Cream of celery was also created for one reason only: inducing vomit.

I'm just sayin'.

Hi! said...

It is good with Pork Chops and Rice.

I have had it with different soups and the cream of chicken it just wasn't the same.

But you must buy the Campbells it can't be generic.