Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Everything I Need To Know...

...I learn from my class of 4 and 5-year-olds on Sundays.

Take last week for instance, when I learned 3 valuable lessons.

The teachers of the other 4-5 class didn't show up so I had some extra little students on Sunday. I asked a question and one of these new kids immediately raised his hand. "Great! What do you think, N--?" I asked, excited that he was so willing to participate.

"I need to use the BATH-room!" he responded.

"OK", I said, buying time, "we'll all go to the bathroom as soon as we figure out the answer."

N--'s hand shot up again. "Did you KNOW that if you don't go to the TOI-let right away when you need to go to the BATH-room you can get a INFEC-tion?"

Lesson #1.

After the bathroom break was completed, hands washed and the water fountain visited, we made our way back to the classroom. Once everyone was seated I began again.

"Do you guys know that Heavenly Father can speak to us today? How do you think he does that?"

Again, N--'s hand. "HERE's what I know! If you are STANDing by a VOLCANO and it starts a-RUPTing you better run FAST or the LAVA will melt your SKIN off and you'll DIE!"

Lesson #2.

"That's awesome, N--!" I begin to whisper, another tactic in keeping their attention. "But can I tell you guys something else? It's a really important thing about prophets. Can you all hear me?"

SuperC jumps out of his seat, stands beside me and whispers in my ear, "Can you hea-o me? Becawse guess what? You aw amazing!"

Lesson #3.


I can't wait to see what they teach me next week.

7 comments:

Mom not Mum said...

awww that is so sweet!

Amanda said...

That is awesome! I love the one about volcanoes, it made me laugh

simplysarah said...

WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING wasting my time in singles wards for ten years?!?

When what I REALLY want is to teach primary. Or something. And learn cool things.

This only confirms my decision from last month to join a family ward ASAP. Thanks!

annette said...

It's amazing the lessons that can be learned from tiny people! Lesson #4 YOU are a GREAT listener!

Gerb said...

MOM (not mum) - Yes, it was.

Amanda - I had to suppress laughter myself when he was saying it!

Sarah - I bet if you casually mentioned that you'd enjoy teaching in primary they'd put you to work right away... and they wouldn't be sorry!

annette- Agreed. And you are a great teacher!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness....That is hilarious!!!! You are perfect in this calling!!!!

Panama Jones said...

I didn't learn nearly as much when I taught sunbeams, but I remember clearly one of the little girls going on and on and on about the dress that Jesus had given her. Talk about a florid imagination!

I like to think my classroom management skills have improved since then. It may even be true.