Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What Is Your Integrity Worth?

Last Monday for Family Night our oldest daughter taught a lesson on integrity. She handed out different situations and had us read them and discuss what we could do to show integrity in each. One was something like this:

You are at the grocery store and you find a $20 bill. What would you do with it?

We talked about how it was important to give it to a manager at the store because it could belong to someone who really needed it and they may come back looking for it. And how it's not really your money, so it should be easy to show integrity and hand it in.

Flash forward to today. I was at the Dollar Store with 3 of my kids. As we went through the checkout, my little cowgirl found a penny on the floor. She showed it to me and then handed it to the cashier, who had this conversation with her:

Cashier: "You can keep that, honey."

Cowgirl: "It's not mine."

Cashier: "It's okay. You can keep it."

Cowgirl: "It's not mine."

Me: (remembering our Family Night lesson) "I don't think that whoever lost it will come back for it, sweetie. It's okay."

Cowgirl: "I DON'T WANT IT!"

Cashier: (looks at me, confused)

And then, without a second thought, Cowgirl's 5-year-old sister grabs the penny and says, "Fine. if she doesn't want it, I'll keep it." And into her pocket it went.

I'm glad someone learned something.

9 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Wow, you've got some kids with great self-control there...

Seriously though, Gerb, what a great lesson and it's awesome to see just how well your daughter had learned what was taught just a day or two before. It's also interesting that the 5 yr-old didn't try to take it sooner, but waited until she knew that it was okay.

Cami said...

I love it! What a good family you're raising. I can't wait until my oldest daughter can start teaching the lesson for family night. Well, maybe I can...

Gina said...

You and your kids' stories are crackin' me up. Keep 'em coming.

Trish said...

Great story! I can only hope my youngest figures this out one day...she is a "collector" of interesting things...sometimes not realizing that just because it is laying around and someone isn't using it right then that it doesn't automatically become hers by default.

Michelle said...

I admit...I would have kept the penny. Your children have great sense of control!!!

Sybrina said...

Totally laughing out loud! You should submit that to a story collection book or magazine.

Rebecca said...

Can your daughter give us some tips on getting 7-year-olds to listen during FHE lessons, because ours do not...even the older ones!
Also, to clarify my vote on your son's blog name, I chose the Coolister option, but only because if you put his initials in front of it, it reminds me of our one-time nicknames (eg. G-Funk). He can join our posse. ;)

Mom not Mum said...

LOL That was great. We had the reverse situation the other day when my daughter found a dollar and insisted since she FOUND it it was hers. She did return it to the owner though once she was convinced he really did lose it.

Shellie said...

Yup, there's at least one in every family...