Monday, March 3, 2008

Theme Week: Mealtime Monday

I'm feeling crazy today. I decided I'm going to post something every day this week, following some random theme. Today I came up with Mealtime Monday. Many people are amazed that I can feed my family on $450 a month. This is not even difficult, really - I shop the sales and plan my menu, weekly, ahead of time (before going shopping) and it all works out great. Our family loves soups, and this is a favorite: Home Style Potato Soup. This makes a thick, creamy soup. Enjoy!

Home Style Potato Soup

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup peeled, diced carrots (about 3 carrots)
2 cups peeled, diced potatoes (about 6 potatoes)
4 Tablespoons chicken bullion
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
1 quart milk
salt and pepper

Combine vegetables in saucepan and add just enough water to cover vegetables. Add chicken bullion and cook, covered, until tender (about 15 minutes). Meanwhile, melt butter in large, heavy saucepan (this is the pan your soup will end up in). Add flour to butter with a wire wisk until blended and bubbly. Add milk slowly and stir until smooth. Add undrained veggies and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

(Serves 8)

Optional Variations:
-When serving, top with grated cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
-Add 2 cups frozen corn with undrained veggies.
-For a cheesy potato soup add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese after adding milk.

P.S. The photo is from www.dairygoodness.ca

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, this looks delicious. Were you planning to make it for a "sick" friend...HINT HINT!!! I think I am going to copy you this week and post every day!!! But, I don't know what to post about????

Rebecca said...

Friendly minds sure do think alike. I've been surfing several food blogs lately, and I love sharing and trying new recipes!

Anonymous said...

Have I ever given you my recipie for cauliflower soup? Now that's good eats!

Gerb said...

Michelle -
You can just copy me. Because I want more recipes! And you know, if I had actually made that soup last night I would have brought some by.

Rebecca -
Same here. I have been trying out all kinds of new recipes and almost every one is a keeper!

Anony-Chip-

I wouldn't have known who 'anon' was until I read your comment. Who else would have given me a recipe for cauliflower soup? I know I made it once. Does your family actually appreciate it enough to justify your making it?

Shellie said...

My mom used to make that soup! I think I need you to coach me on shopping- tell me where the sales are !