Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Song Game

Do you ever play the Song Game? I play it every day. It is beyond my control, really, just something ingrained in my brain.

When my 11-year-old daughter comes home and says, "I was late for class", it makes me want to sing a song with those lyrics. But I always try to refrain.

It's a little bit funny, really. I mean, I'm in this kitchen trying not to think about anything but getting lunches made when one of my kids will say, "Mom! I had an awesome dream last night!" Or, "Close your mouth! I think you're gross!" I can't help myself...I think of a song. Or Allen will ask me about the towhead's potty training: "Is it getting better?" and I want to respond by continuing the song he started.

The most common phrases that set me off are:

"I don't know how you do it",
"What do you think?", and
"It's a beautiful day!"

I guess you could say I'm a little bit shy about just breaking out in song. But I think it's better that way, wouldn't you agree? People already think I have a crazy life. I don't need to prove them right.

Do you play the song game, too? Do you know the songs that match the lyrics in red?

8 comments:

Cami said...

I don't know all the songs, but I think I could name a few.

Teachinfourth said...

I love that game. At ComedySportz we call it "top 40" and it is a blast. We'll have to get a group together...

~j. said...

I play a game where I combine songs. For example, U2 sings, "It's a beautiful daaaay..." and I finish, "...of peace and rest."

Cherie said...

YES!!!!
...It's a little bit funny, that feeling inside.

Rebecca said...

I play that game, but mostly when I'm around my family (sisters and mother), and mostly with songs from musicals or Primary songs. I was never good at the Top 40 stuff.

ablackman said...

With all the snow this winter I keep thinking of that one song, you know, the one that's a duet and ends with "Life, in the snow".

annette said...

How funny! We often do this as a family- with songs or, more commonly, movie lines- where we see who can name it first.

Was this the song to "sing a song"?: "Sing, sing a song. Sing out loud. Sing out strong. (feel free to join in) Sing of good things, not bad"...(I love this song! Old fav. of mine:)

Shellie said...

Oh what a great game! I love doing that.