Friday, March 21, 2008

We Could All Use A Little Change

Yesterday my little Superman was digging around in his change jar before school. That usually means he has enough to buy school lunch, which I think is disgusting, but hey, it's his money. I asked him what the change was for so I would know if I needed to pack him a lunch or not.

He responded: "Miss S. showed us a jar in class yesterday. Any money we put in it will help to buy books for kids who don't have any."

I asked if he was sure he wanted to put his change in the jar. After all, wasn't he saving for a new pack of Pokemon cards? Didn't he want to buy that kite at the dollar store? How about a new set of Legos? There had to be something else he wanted to use his money for.

I think he was disappointed in me.

He said: "Mom, some kids don't have books. Can you imagine not having books?! Besides, Miss S. put just about her whole purse full of money in the jar. If she can do that, I can put in my change."

It's days like this I realize I must be doing something right in teaching these kids of mine. I guess we could all use a little 'change' every once in a while.

7 comments:

Cami said...

Wow! What a great kid you've got there.

Kate is saving her money for a bike. Ever since I read her the book "You are Priceless: the Parable of the Bicycle" she's been saving her money for a bike. She is quite convinced that when she goes to the bike shop, and she doesn't have enough money, her daddy will "make up the rest."

Gina said...

That is a great reminder. Thanks for sharing that story.

Michelle said...

It isn't great that we learn from the little ones in our lives. They are so much closer to living how we are suppose to be living. Thanks for the reminders. You do have fantastic children!!

Rebecca said...

I hate to burst your bubble, Gerb, but maybe you're not the one who's doing something right. I think it's Miss S. You tried to talk him out of it!

(You know I'm just teasing you, right? We all know that you are in fact doing countless things right! Exhibit A: Your son actually is saving his money. If my kids get any money, it burns a hole in their pocket immediately!)

Teachinfourth said...

I'm not surprised to tell you the truth...it seems to run in families with nine or more kids...

Shellie said...

How cool! What a great kid.

Jeannette said...

That just completely touches my heart. Another obvious reminder that you are THE mom! How do you do it?