Monday, November 28, 2011

Reunions


There is something about family that just becomes ingrained in you. Their faces, the memories, everything is somehow etched upon your heart and stored away in the attic of your mind in a way that time has no power over the bond that was forged.

Last week was a week of reunions.

My Aunt Bonnie was reunited with her husband after 20 long years apart from each other. Just the thought of that brings emotion to the surface for me. Words can not describe how I love those two.


The gathering for Aunt Bonnie's funeral service was a reunion as well. I am not sure how to explain the happiness that came in seeing each of my Blitsch cousins again. It didn't matter that it has been such a long, long time since we've had the chance to visit. As I met their kids, laughed, cried and shared memories I just reveled in the feeling of belonging. It was wonderful to be a part of something that I didn't realize I had missed for so long.

When it was time to go our separate ways I was filled with melancholy because I knew that the chances of seeing any of them again were small. I wanted to stay longer, learn more about what they think and do and who they are. I thought about taking pictures at the funeral service and the gathering for lunch afterward but somehow it felt like taking pictures would rob the moment. I don't know how to explain that - I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I preferred to work at capturing each person in my memory, I suppose.

I have thought of each of them every day since, with hope for another reunion in this lifetime.

No comments: