Saturday, November 12, 2011

Melancholy Day

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/377204_10150978979235727_880160726_21964897_1735516438_n.jpg

The stormy grey skies matched my mood this morning as I checked my email and found a message my mom had sent late last night: Aunt Bonnie passed away today.

If you wonder what kind of influence my Aunt Bonnie had in my life, you can read this post from February of this year. I've been thinking about her a lot today.

This past summer we had originally planned to take a family trip to the western states to visit so many of our relatives who are scattered throughout the area. One stop would have been in Oregon to see Aunt Bonnie and some of her children who live near her. However, we had a change of plans and did not make that trip. I have no regrets, really - more of just a wish that I could have seen her one last time and told her how much she meant to me.

That post I mentioned above? I kept meaning to print it out and send it to her. I still don't know why I didn't. But I didn't. It is what it is.

Isn't it funny how you can live so far away from someone and have had so little contact over the years - but once they're gone from this life you can miss them like crazy and wish for more time?

I have so many thoughts that can not be organized right now. It has just been a melancholy day.

5 comments:

dalene said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet aunt. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Linn said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt. She looks like an absolutely lovely woman and no wonder she had such a great influence on you.

Rachel said...

I'm sorry Gerb........ This is a hard thing.

Richard & Natalie said...

So sorry to hear of your Aunt's passing, Gerb. The passing of a loved one warrants a melancholy day or so. It sounds like you are using them in a good way, by reflecting on what a wonderful woman she is and all that you learned from her.

Teachinfourth said...

This is never a fun thing to hear about...