Thursday, November 10, 2011

Every Little Bit Counts

photo of my adorable niece shamelessly pilfered from here

In the month of November many people list things they are thankful for each day on Facebook or write a post about the things they are thankful for on their blogs. I will probably be writing up a post one day this month that lists some of the many things I am blessed with in my life - but today I am especially thankful for my cute niece Addilynn and her amazing parents.

Some of you are familiar with my awesome brother and sister-in-law, Daren and Shannon. They found out they couldn't have kids on their own so they began a process which eventually brought Addilynn into their lives through adoption.

Addi was recently diagnosed with a rare disorder called FOP. (You can click on that link to read a quick synopsis about it.) Shannon created a blog to write about their journey with Addi's FOP. To read their story (which also explains how they found out about Addi's diagnosis), click HERE.

They are also having a 'Drawing From the Heart' (funny fact: it was originally called a 'raffle' but she found out they needed to get a license for gambling if they used the word raffle) to help fund FOP research and find a cure. They are simply asking for everyone who is willing to donate what they can - from $1.00 to $1 million (if you happen to have that lying around in a suitcase somewhere...). To sweeten the deal there are even a whole slew of great prizes that have been donated for the drawing.

To be included in the drawing you can donate until November 26th. Winners will be announced Monday, November 28th. You can read more about it all HERE.

The hardest thing for me right now is that I feel helpless to do anything for Addi. When I hear something is wrong with someone that I love, I want to fix it. I want to make it better. Prayers and donating to FOP research is all I can do, so that's what I did.

I wrote this post because I want to do more - and I hope it will encourage others to help, too.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You're wonderful Gerb. Being a parent and having a child or knowing of a child who has things a little bit harder in this life is really hard. You're right though. Prayer is a huge thing to offer. Prayer for the child and prayers of comfort to the parents.

Thank you for writing this post. I know I'm being sentimental here but when others who I don't even know (and I find out) are praying for Levi or doing nice things for him....... I can't even begin to describe to you what that does. So again, thank you for inviting all of us to add our prayers to yours and an opportunity to help where we can.