Sunday, November 6, 2011

Giving Thanks For Thanksgiving

photo from eslpod.com

Dear Thanksgiving,

Just wanted to let you know that, despite the fact that the retail stores and radio stations have forgotten you once again, I have not. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Christmas. In fact, I love it. It has just become so overwhelmingly materialistic and shoved down my throat the day after Halloween. I think that you serve as a great precursor to being inundated with ho-ho-ho music and people wearing Santa hats. No one should just skip over you, Thanksgiving. We need to remember to give thanks. So when it comes to holidays, please don't feel neglected when you see inflatable Santas and animated Grinches adorning the holiday aisles in stores. At our house, we haven't forgotten you. In fact, we have a playlist of Thanksgiving songs which we enjoy until your day has passed. Here is what we will be listening to until the day after we celebrate the things we're thankful for:

1. Thankful - Josh Groban
2. Thanksgiving Theme - Vince Guaraldi Trio
3. Colors - John McCutcheon
4. Prayer of Thanksgiving - David Tolk
5. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - MoTab Choir
6. Thanksgiving Day - John McCutcheon
7. Thank U - Alanis Morrissette
8. When Fall Comes to New England - Cheryl Wheeler
9. Take Me Home Country Roads - John Denver
10. Thank You - John Mellencamp
11. Happy Thanksgiving - Debbie Friedman
12. Home - Michael Buble
13. Thanksgiving - George Winston
14. Celebrate Me Home - Kenny Loggins
15. Thanksgiving - Jim Brickman
16. Kind and Generous - Natalie Merchant
17. What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
18. Thank You - Boyz II Men

Hang in there, Thanksgiving. I've got your back.

Sincerely,
Gerb

4 comments:

Linn said...

Oh thank you for this list Gerb! I LOVE Thanksgiving--like possibly my favorite holiday. I don't love that it just kind of gets skipped over. And for the first time in about seven or more years, we will have family coming to celebrate. Even better!

Blogful said...

Thanks for this play list.

Anonymous said...

That's why I love Canadian Thanksgiving - It's before Halloween. No offense to American Thanksgiving, it just works that way for me because I'm Canadian! Jerri

Chelle! said...

I am downloading these songs. I love Thanksgiving and it always gets forgotten! Thanks for sharing!