Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dad




-->
8 years ago today you silently slipped away
in the quiet morning hours
an escape from your pain, a beginning for mine
leaving behind only memories
in mental and tangible photographs.

It unsettled me
that the world could go on turning
without you here.

Time does not make the loss easier
does not fill the empty part of me
which still longs for one final dance;
the way we used to sway when I was young
and again when your time here was ending.

Yet, hope warms my soul
and your strength embraces me
when I need to face life's storms.

In moments of silence I often reflect
on the life you lived
and the love you left with us
a priceless treasure I hold closely guarded
until the promise of forever is kept.


10 comments:

pam said...

[hugs]

Rebecca said...

Love you, Gerb!

Trish said...

Big squishy hugs, Gerb.

Gina said...

Once again, I cried. Thanks for sharing that with me. Love you!

Katrina said...

Thinking of you today.

DaNae said...

Gerb, thanks for sharing. My thoughts are with you today! I think the "I love you" sign is so sweet on the headstone. Hugs!

Jon and Maryanne said...

I will never forget his funural, it was so beautiful! I am so grateful that I was able to spend the time in Utah that I did to get to know you guys! I only got to see your dad a few times, but I am so grateful for those times!

Sister Pottymouth said...

What a beautiful tribute! You two obviously had a close relationship. Thanks for letting us have a glimpse.

Chelle! said...

Lots of hugs!!

CoolRunnings said...

It unsettled me that the world could go on turning without you here.

It more than unsettled me when my dad died. I wanted to go out to the freeway and stop traffic and let "them" know just what had happened to my world and "their" world.
I can still feel myself in his arms and dancing with him by standing on his feet when I was hardly tall enough to reach his waist. Good grief (literally), I'm a grandmother and I still miss my Daddy. Everyday. Thanks for giving it beautiful words.