Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cake For Breakfast!

One of my favorite things to make for breakfast is baked oatmeal. The kids call it 'Oatmeal Cake' and they beg for the leftovers after school. The great thing about it is you can refrigerate the mixture overnight and bake it in the morning or you can even bake it the night before and just re-heat the individual servings as needed. I have thought about freezing slices of it but there is never any left to try that with.

Well, friends, it's your lucky day. Because now you have the recipe.

Oatmeal Cake

1 cup applesauce (you can use oil instead)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
6 cups oats
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups milk

(optional add-ins before baking: 1 diced apple, 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries)

Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes (or until lightly browned).

You can serve each slice 'as is' (perfect to eat on the way out the door!) or in a variety of other ways. Here are a few ideas:

-Pour some milk over it and enjoy
-Top with brown sugar and butter
-Whipped cream and fresh fruit make anything taste amazing!
-Dust the top with powdered sugar

There you have it. Cake for breakfast.

Oh, yeah.

12 comments:

Sybrina said...

Cool! I was planning on asking you for that recipe!

Kristi Wilkins said...

can the oats be quick oats?

Gerb said...

Sybrina- Well, there you have it!

Kristi- Yep. I actually almost always use quick oats. Sometimes I use less than are called for, depending on how dense I want it to turn out. You can experiment with up to a cup less and it still turns out like cake.

Maleen said...

I am so trying this tomorrow morning!

pam said...

ooooh! I'm all over that. The junior chef and I will make it on Saturday!

Trish said...

Can't wait to try it!!

Mom of Three said...

I can't wait to try this, or have my husband do it since he is the baker of the family!! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you post recipes. It is always so fun to try new things and so far my kids have loved everything we have tried off your blog. I especially enjoyed your segment awhile back on sack lunches. This took us out of a rut.
Thanks! Kara

Sister Pottymouth said...

Chocolate cake for breakfast! Now that's nutrition!

Okay, okay...oat cake. Still sounds yummy.

Gina said...

"Yum, yum. Let's have some." ---Berenstien Bears (Home Sweet Home)

Gerb said...

maleen- So? How'd it turn out?

pam- You won't be sorry.

trish, mom of 3- (see what I said to Pam... you, too.)

Kara- I always take requests! let me know if you have any.

Sis. P- I feed the kids the oat cake then eat me some chocolate in the pantry.

Gina- If we still had early morning training meetings, I'd bring some. But we're switched to evenings now, right? I guess that calls for treats... or something.

Michelle said...

Mind if I put this on my menu blog? Don't worry, I'll give you the credit. Oh ya, surprise, surprise, I have not only 1 but 2blogs.