Thursday, January 8, 2009

One Girl's Trash...

"Is that your treasure chest, Mom?" Hubba asked me.

"Not really," I replied, "It's mostly some junk I need to get rid of."

I had decided that it was a good day to clear some stuff out of this 'hope chest' my parents gave to me years ago. I knew it contained items that were important to me at one time or another but my priorities have changed dramatically since I was a teenager. I opened it up and stared down at the top layer.

Old VHS tapes? Those could definitely go.


Wait... it's a tape of the first 2 musicals I performed in? And a complete video of the (one and only) pageant I competed in? And some footage with my Dad in it? Hmmm... maybe they're keepers.

Holy cow - check out these pictures of me at school dances. I don't need these!
Well... maybe the kids would think they are fun to look at. Besides, check out my hair in this one! Classic 80's!
I can totally remember that I had to buy Jason that sweater to get him to go to the dance with me. Ha!

Here are these old, stained dolls. What do I need them for?


They were my favorites. That Holly Hobby was my only gift one Christmas. And those stains were from my 'feeding' them at every meal. Maybe I could try washing them. Maybe they're antiques? I better hold on to them.

How about this folder? I don't need my old church folder. Let's take a look inside first...
Wow- it's my camp patch and neckerchief! I worked so hard to earn those. I can still remember how I almost didn't pass off the fire-building or first aid. These are still pretty cool.

Alright, let's see - 2 pictures of me that people drew. Kind of fun. Old posters from the plays I was in? They don't take up much room. Cassette tapes? What in the world... No way! Trish and I singing Surfin' USA... I totally forgot about FunTrax in Westwood! I guess all this stuff is going back in...

OK, on to the bottom layer.


Those blankets are all worth keeping. And I can't throw out my yearbooks or my letterman's jacket. That has my name on it. I wonder what's in that little box?


The first book I ever wrote! I loved this - my Fashion Plates made the perfect pictures to illustrate it. I love the clothes I picked for the people who "just relax at home".

What the heck is this?


Oh yeah! I totally forgot that I own the magic whistle that makes me ruler of the seas! My friend Joe found it for me and wrote a story to go with it. I can't just toss creativity like that in the garbage.

Why am I keeping some piece of paper...

Yes!! Holly still totally owes me from my 17th birthday! I'll have to give her a call...

And look! PROOF!
I totally got an A+ in speech! Ahem... good thing I didn't keep any other report cards...

What's in this envelope? Old negatives? I can toss 'em. Well, let's check what they are first...



Oh - pictures from my theatrical makeup class. Hmmm... maybe I'll develop them and see if they're worth keeping.

In the end, this was all that got thrown away:


Apparently, I am something of a junk collector - or maybe just a sentimental softie. But either way, Hubba was right.

It is my treasure chest.

9 comments:

cari said...

I have a similar treasure chest (except mines a rubbermaid box not a cool chest) and I pull it out every few years. It's fun to remember my former self once in a while! My favorite was a letter I wrote to my future husband when I was a new Laurel. Very funny!

I'd get those tapes digitized as soon as you can though. I watched my wedding video a few months ago and it was turning yellow. They really do deteriorate after time.

Trish said...

good times...:)
making that song in westwood is one my all time favorite memories from high school.

Martha said...

Fashion Plates! I had those, too!

pam said...

Hey, that looks like my hope chest! I was searching through it for some stuff this fall.

Do I really need the cassette tapes from choir, drawings from preschool, and all those collectible spoons from vacations over the years?

Ummm, yeah...apparently I do. I couldn't part with any of my goodies either!

Gerb said...

Cari- I have one of those in my journal, titled "Qualifications for my future husband". It's good fun to read it now...

Trish- Same here. Especially our commentary in the middle of the song.

Martha- I eventually wore mine out. they were definitely a favorite.

Pam- It must run in the family!

annette said...

So fun! Have you shared them with the kids? I've been working on going through old boxes and it's been fun- the treasures I've found, lost memories renewed ;)

Mom not Mum said...

My mom just brought me 3 boxes of my things - I need to go through them and see what treasures I felt the need to keep. I know my baby blanket is in there and a few other cool things.

Panama Jones said...

Mine isn't even a rubbermaid box. It's just a box. Since I'm not exactly a scrapbooker that's where it all stays. Someday I hope to give it all a better home, but I don't know when that day will come. Still, it's fun to reminice.

Teachinfourth said...

I have a 'treasure room' similar to your trunk...only mine is mostly filled with junk.

It's amazing what we cling to; reminders of what once was. Of course, music can do that for me too, but when I find an old letter or keepsake...