Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Happy Birthday and a Happy-Me-Day

I needed to start this new year out on the right foot. I have been a little grumpy lately and I don't like myself much that way. (I'm fairly certain my family doesn't enjoy it either.)

So because today is Princess' 6th birthday and because it has become a kid-created tradition to serve the birthday person breakfast in bed, I decided to go all out and make Dutch Babies (better known as German Pancakes) with fresh whipped cream and marion berries. With freshly whipped cream on hand I couldn't resist making a nice mug of hot chocolate for her, too.

The result? A happy Princess.
I have found that doing something nice for someone else usually helps pull me out of the pool of self-pity that I've been wallowing in. I don't usually want to do it - that's the difficult part. Sometimes I like having a pity party. But the good news is that I have never regretted it once the good deed is done.

And look at that sweet face... how could I still be grouchy with that around?

5 comments:

Lena the Teacher said...

Such a cool tradition!!! I loved your Christmas card photo!

Teachinfourth said...

It is true that service to someone else really does help us feel better, for me, it's getting around to making myself serve...

My birthday is in September...just in case you guys were wondering.

threeundertwo said...

That face is so content! I love Dutch baby pancakes, but I haven't made them in a while.

Have a wonderful 2009!

Cami said...

So do the kiddos make you breakfast in bed on your birthday?

Just curious.

P.S. Loved the Wooba Wooba Monster story. Classic!

Gerb said...

Lena- Yours was awesome, too. Gotta love Lena as Wonder Woman!

Tchn5th- I know what you mean. And you better watch what you say... there could be 9 kids around your bed singing you awake with Happy Birthday come September!

3under2- They're worth it. Make yourself some! And a happy 2009 to you, too!

Cami- Yep. Allen and I help when it's the other person's birthday.