Friday, February 10, 2012

Arise And Shine Forth Fight Song

I am our ward's official team mascot, Sunny.

Camp planning has begun! I am so giddy-excited for camp this year. The young women's presidency in our ward decided to use a tailgate party/sports theme for our New Beginnings program and the girls thought it would be great to carry that throughout the whole year, including up at camp this summer.

The camp theme for our stake this year is D.O.T.S. (Depend on the Savior) and we wanted to have something that would fall under this same idea for our ward but still keep with the sports theme. We decided on:

Choose The Right Team: We're on the Lord's Side!

I wrote our ward's 'fight song' based on the church's annual theme for the youth all over the world, "Arise and shine forth, that thy light may be a standard for the nations" (D&C 115:5). I think it turned out pretty good - and I got approval from ElemenoB and Thumbelina just to be sure.

If you want to sing along, it's written to the tune of BYU's Cougar Fight Song.

(Our) Ward YW Fight Song
(sung to the tune of the BYU Fight Song)

Rise, all loyal daughters, and be a light to all you know
We'll decide to choose the right everywhere we go.
Kindness, faith, virtue -
These we all value
Be a light and let it shine bright
Come on, (our) ward, it's up to you!

(chorus)
A-rise and shine forth, this is the time
to be a light to every nation.
A-rise and shine forth, now is the time
to be a shining-forth sensation!
A-rise and shine, our spirits will climb
As faith is built on firm foundations.

Every single day - if there's a will, then there's a way!
We'll show the world what's good and what's true.
And be examples in all we do!

RAH, RAH, RAH-RAH-RAH,
RAH, RAH, RAH-RAH-RAH,
RAH, RAH, RAH-RAH-RAH,

GOOOOOOOO (OUR) WARD!

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wowie wow wow, Gerb!

Rory, Chocolate Hair/Vanilla Care said...

just plain awesomeness. i've come to expect nothing less! :-)

GaeLynn said...

I have your cowbell if you wondering where it ended up.

Sarah said...

I agree with Rory....pure and utter awesomeness. Way to goooooooo!

Richard & Natalie said...

Okay, Gerb. I have said it before and I will say it again, "You are thee best!" Can I also say that I am glad you aren't in my Stake? I would hate to have to compete against you.

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Love this! I think a video of the performance would really do it justice though (HINT HINT).

Anaise said...

You're amazing.

My Emily is going ot be 12 in a month and so she's eligible to participate in all of the temple dedication cultural celebration chaos and then girls' camp immediately following. It's all a blessing, but totally overwhelming for this mom who never went to girls' camp and who considered the YW program to be kind of a cute effort . . .

I woke up this morning thinking I needed to contact you for a kick in the pants to help me cope with what's coming, but here you were, waiting for me.

Thanks.

Gerb said...

Thanks, Rebecca!

Rory- You knew me when this craziness started. I wonder if it will ever go away? :)

GaeLynn- I think I may need that to wake girls up at camp.

Sarah- Thanks! It was SOOOOO fun.

Natalie- Put your ward's name/number in there and use it! You'll be the star of your stake! ;)

BTM- Well. I did not get a video. And I do not carry the tune very well when I am screaming. But I appreciate the love. :)

Anaise- In my opinion, Girl's Camp is the best part of YW. Where can we grow closer to our Heavenly Father than in a place surrounded by nature, up in the mountains? I heard recently that the mountains are a meeting place between heaven and earth. I love that! Your Emily is going to love every moment, I just know it.

Anonymous said...

I love the cougar fight song! We did something similar at girls camp last year. Jerri