Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thinking Inside The Box




My littlest 3 were pretty busy a few days ago.

First they took a train ride from the desert to the ocean.

Then two of them were robots while one played garbage collector.

Curly piloted a rocketship through the solar system to discover an unknown planet where they played hide-and-seek with some friendly aliens.

Then they enjoyed a drive-in showing of Megamind, each in their very own vehicle.

Curly and Little O repeatedly built a tall building for Godzilla (a.k.a. Baby X) to destroy.

Unique works of art were created.

And this was all before lunchtime!

A few days later some other kids asked if they could have a huge box that was folded flat in a corner of our garage. I figured, why not?

All-A-Boy, Cowgirl, Princess and Hubba made this cool bedroom/house/fort and had a blast playing in it for two days straight.

Cowgirl had to come up with a creative book report on the last biography she read. She decided to make a TV monitor and crawl inside to be a real live news anchor reporting on a famous speech given by the person she read about.

She would tell about Martin Luther King's legacy, flip this picture up from the inside and then read part of his "I Have A Dream" speech.

The kids all took turns being the stars of their own TV shows after this was built.

Remind me again why I bother buying toys?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Boxes and laundry baskets. If that is all we ever bought for our kids to play with.... they would be happy/thrilled and we'd be a whole lot less broke. :)

Natasha and Jesse said...

How fun! Such creative children (and I hope mine like to play with boxes too). :)

Petersons Blog Spot said...

Don't worry Natasha, all children love to play with, in, and on boxes!

Anaise said...

I'm with you--why do we buy toys? Ever?

Every time we get a package in the mail, the first question is, "Can I have the box?"

Sarah said...

My kids use boxes and blocks with cars to play aaaallllll day, though they do get a little possesive of them around bed time. I can't tell you how many times I've had to go 'round with, "No, you may not sleep in the box tonight."

I loved Cowgirl's book report idea, so cute!!

Gerb said...

Rachel- Amen!

Natasha- Thanks. And like Jerri says, I'm sure your kids will love boxes. All kids seem to!

Anaise- That sounds familiar. The second question is usually, "Is there any bubble wrap?"

Sarah- My kids are STILL sleeping in the huge box. I'm about ready to take it out to the dumpster, though!