Monday, February 27, 2012

Italian vs. Mexican

pin here

In a post from a while back I listed a typical menu around here, asked if anyone wanted recipes, then didn't post them. Well, better late than never, right?

My problem is that I want to show pictures when I post a recipe, yet every time I have prepared these culinary creations for dinner I have forgotten to snap a few photos. Some recipes I get a beginning photo for, and some I only remember to take a picture of the finished product.

You'll see what I mean in a minute.

My blogger pal Jerri asked: What is the difference between Italian and Mexican Chicken? I decided to answer that today, and what better way than with recipes?

First off, Italian Chicken and Rice. This is such an easy and delicious meal. Here are the ingredients (except I forgot the butter in my snapshot):


which you put into your crockpot in the following order:

melted butter
softened cream cheese
Italian seasoning
chicken
cream of chicken soup

And then just let it cook there on your counter for a few hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Every once in awhile, look over at your countertop and marvel at the beauty of a kitchen appliance who does all of the work for you.

I love you, CrockPot.

Once it's done, take two forks and shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Then serve it over rice.

(I have made this 3 times since posting the menu and never remembered to take a picture of the finished product. Just imagine a plate of rice covered in chickeny-gravyish goodness.)

Now for Mexican Chicken and Rice:

In this case I didn't take any pictures until I was done cooking.

Behold!

And if you're still wondering what the difference is, just check out the recipes and make them for yourself. These are both tried and true meals that our whole family loves.


Italian Chicken and Rice

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1 packet of Italian Seasoning (or Italian salad dressing mix)
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (use more or less depending on whether you like more gravy or more chicken)
1 large (26 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
Cooked rice (I do 4 cups rice + 8 cups water)

Melt butter in microwave then dump melted butter in the bottom of the crockpot. Add softened cream cheese and mix it into the butter. Add Italian seasoning. Add chicken. Stir everything around a little if you want, but it's not mandatory. Dump cream of chicken soup over the top of everything. Put the lid on your crockpot, turn it to low (6-8 hours) or high (3-4 hours). When finished cooking, take two forks and shred the chicken into the gravy. Serve over hot rice. (Serves about 10 if you have a mixture of adult-eaters and kid-eaters. Not sure how many otherwise.)

Mexican Chicken and Rice

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves cut into small chunks
1 1/2 cups mild chunky salsa (unless you like things spicy - I don't)
1 package (or 2 Tablespoons) taco seasoning
6 cups water
3 cups uncooked rice
2 cans black beans, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream (optional, but we like it)

Bring chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, water and rice to a boil in a large pan; cover. Simmer at medium heat until rice has absorbed all of the water, stirring occasionally to make sure the beans don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with cheese and (optional) serve topped with a dollop of sour cream. Chow down! (Serves about 10 if you have a mixture of adult-eaters and kid-eaters. Not sure how many otherwise.)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Do you ever have left-overs? Or do you guys usually finish every dinner off?

I love left-overs. But if I was cooking for 10, I don't think I'd ever have any.

Rachel said...

These look yummy and easy. Two important ingredients in this house!

Gerb said...

Bec- If we have leftovers I know it wasn't as big of a hit as I thought. These two meals rarely have leftovers and when they do it's usually because someone wasn't there to eat.

I love leftovers too! I've realized more and more that I'm not much of a sandwich person.

Rachel- Give them a try and tell me what you think!

Steph said...

Yeah!!! Post more recipes, Gerb. I need ideas. The easier the better.

Connie said...

Both recipes sound delicious!

Petersons Blog Spot said...

Yea! I'm excited to try these. If you like curry I will have to share my Honey Curry Chicken recipe. It's my favourite and super easy to make. Jerri

Gerb said...

Steph- I have plenty more - maybe I'll post one every couple of weeks or so.

Connie- I promise, they are!

Jerri- I would love the recipe! Could you email it to me?

Teachinfourth said...

Looks delicious, but I'm lazy...I'm all about microwaving the item for 30 seconds and then eating.