Friday, August 27, 2010

The Many Uses of Playdough

photo found at playdoh.com

Last Sunday, as part of my lesson, I gave each of the kids in my class a little baggie containing a glob of playdough and asked them to create a farm animal from it. As I made the playdough at home earlier that morning I remember looking at how white it was and wondering if I should give it a tint of color - perhaps yellow or green? - but I ultimately decided that it would be best to leave it neutral so they wouldn't mold their globs into animals based on a specific color. (It didn't matter, by the way. The boys all made snakes and the girls mostly made cats.)

After a few attempts to eat or at least lick their little globs of dough, I had them put their baggies beneath their chairs.

At the end of the lesson, being the awesome teacher that I am, I let the kids take the playdough home.

Later, I received this email from one of my kids' parents:

So as we were walking home from primary, M. was proudly showing me her "dough." I said, "oh, that's so nice! Playdough!" And she said, "No mom, it's not playdough. It's dough!" I smiled and thought nothing of it.

We got in the door and about 15 minutes into making lunch M. announced that she was supposed to make a pizza with the dough. So I changed my assumptions... you must have given them some dough to make something at home. What a great idea! OK, fine. Go ahead and make a pizza.

I preheated the oven and the kids had a grand old time rolling out the "dough" on a baking sheet. I gave M. sauce to spread, and cheese, and put it in the oven to bake. 10 minutes later I took it out, got the "pizza" off the pan, and put it on M.'s plate, instructing her to share a little bit with her sisters.

I tasted a little glob of crust which had stuck to the pan.

I'm sure you know the rest.... :)

J and I were laughing so hard. I laughed so hard I cried. Anyway... thank you for the playdough! I should have tasted it before we even started.


Maybe I should have gone with purple?

11 comments:

olivia said...

LOVE it. making us laugh to tears over here too. i will use this as conversation starter this weekend as we were invited over to some family's house in the new ward... :)

Kara said...

Thanks Gerb for the comments on my blog. I truly enjoyed this post. It is always great to start the day with a laugh.

diane rene said...

that is too funny!

Richard & Natalie said...

This is classic.
I want to know if the kids actually ate it? Because kids will eat just about anything- especially if it has sauce and cheese on it.

Rebecca said...

I had the same question...would the kids have eaten it anyway?

Also, another question: Can I be in your class? Sounds like fun.

Sarise said...

Wow! I never make my primary kiddos playdough because it would be instantly stuck in the carpet forever. And mine wouldn't make what they were asked to....well ok, one would...the rest would make something to do with star wars or video games. Way to be a good teacher and have your kids do what they're supposed to!

Shannon said...

That is too funny...embarassing for those poor parents, but awesome nonetheless. I learned some years back to label any ambiguous substances that would be leaving my domain when I gave a basket of homemade toiletries as a wedding gift. I received a call from the bride two days later informing me that she had eagerly taken a bite out of the 'white fudge' that was...in reality...soap.

Teachinfourth said...

Probably wasn't salty at all...

Holmes said...

Ever sunk your teeth into a cinnamon and sugar dessert pizza, anticipating the melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness of it all, only to find out that the teenage employee at the restaurant obviously didn't have much common sense and she filled the sugar bin with salt? The shock and disgust of it all is with me to this day. I am always cautious with the whole cinnamon and "sugar" experience! Thanks for the reminder. Love this post! And you! Hope you are doing well...

Kristin Garlick said...

Hilarious!

Linn said...

So, so funny!!