Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gerb In The Garden


There is nothing in this world like eating from our garden. The picture above represents one day's bounty. I can't wait for more tomatoes to start ripening! I could eat them with every meal along with cold, sliced cucumbers and oven baked zucchini.

The worst part is that we get used to what these fresh, home-grown fruits and veggies really taste like, then it gets cold and we have to buy the tasteless stuff that they sell at the store. Either that or we just go without. I'm hoping for a late frost this season!

By far, this was my favorite part of yesterday's harvest:


The strawberry plants have turned out to be my favorite investment. They are the perfect amount of sweet and a wonderful topping for waffles and ice cream - if we don't eat them all right out of the bowls on the counter.

Zucchini and cucumbers have been our best producers so far this year. My kids are loving all of the great treats I have learned to bake with zucchini over the years. Tomorrow we're going to make zucchini apple pie - which contains no apples, by the way. Sound gross? I thought so, too, but it's actually amazingly deceiving.

I'll have to share some of my favorite zucchini recipes here...

Stay tuned!

7 comments:

compulsive writer said...

I have some ripe tomatoes--enough to share--if you want some while you're waiting. Can't wait for your recipes.

Farscaper said...

Yum! You are amazing. How do you take care of kids, bake another one and have such a wonderful garden? I've only ventured out to make a garden twice and did OK the first time and horrible the next year. I would love to grow our own food. I agree that home grown - ripe food is sooo yummy!

Teachinfourth said...

My brother saw this recipe on MS a few years ago (channel surfing) and made it. He added diced chicken in for fun and it was absolutely AMAZING! It made zucchini taste like something delicious without being grated into bread.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/best-roasted-zucchini-and-tomato-pasta

Awesomeness to the Nth degree...

Sybrina said...

Wow! Here in CO, we've only had one tomato, and not a single zucchini, squash, or even a little nub of a pumpkin yet. If we've had strawberries, I wouldn't know. My Mr K makes a morning ritual of going out to check. ;) So...enjoy your gorgeous fresh produce! Meanwhile...I'll enjoy our CO rainstorms for you!

BTW- thought you'd appreciate my word verification word: "preggedo"
Perhaps a new pregnancy term we could use? I am feeling mighty "preggedo" these days!

Rachel said...

Oh please do because we've got 'bakini' coming out our ears around here!

Lori said...

I almost wrote a post yesterday on 4Ps on how wonderful the produce is right now...I love digging in the dirt, watching these things grow. I'm thinking my pumpkins aren't going to make it (vines look great, which is excellent, considering they hate being transplanted) but it looks like perhaps they were either all male or all female seeds. Crappers.

Anyway--beautiful food. Great work.

Richard & Natalie said...

Oh, I want your strawberries... They look absolutely delicious.

I can't wait for your recipes so I can do something else with all the garden goods I inherit (since ours never quite got started this year) besides zucchini cupcakes and BLTs.