Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tell Me Why

An open letter to the children's clothing industry:

I've been shopping for clothes for my kids lately and I have a few questions.

Why are girls clothes so tight and short? I do not want to teach my girls that they should dress to flaunt their bodies. Could you make something a little less form-fitting for those of us who want our girls to be girls and not miniature women? (Actually, could you talk to someone about making women's clothes a little looser-fitting, too? Thanks.) And another thing...

Why is it nearly impossible to purchase a dress for a teenage girl with some length and sleeves? Don't make me get out my sewing machine. Seriously.

And why is it so difficult to find a nice pair of sturdy leather sandals in a size 2.5 without HEELS? My daughter likes to run and play in the summer. She's not a runway model. And those plastic "croc" type shoes are NOT sandals. Please stop calling them that.

Another thing - could someone open a store called "In Season"? Because when I want to get some capris or a one-piece swimsuit in the middle of the summer and they're all clearanced out to make room for school clothes, that's a little frustrating. I mean, I'm shopping for things we're going to wear NOW, not two months from now.

Thanks for listening. I'll look for these improvements next year.

Until then,
Gerb

16 comments:

Gina said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen.

Cami said...

Ditto! I think you hit the nail on the head with this post. My frustrations exactly!

Stephenie said...

Amen! I started buying Danielle boy's shorts so the length could be there. Occasionally I can find burmuda shorts at Target for the older girls, and the rest of the time they have to wear capris. It is very frustrating!

Trish said...

Oh boy do I feel your pain!!!!!

Threeundertwo said...

Yep. I know exactly. I sometimes find longer dresses at TJ Maxx.

~j. said...

You're reading my mind. On all accounts. My most recent was yesterday at Target: uniform clothes on the racks. For next school year. The last day of school in the town where I grew up is TOMORROW.

H.L. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
H.L. said...

I have always had better luck finding one piece suits in Vegas.

I agree with you 100%

Gerb said...

Gina-
Can I add my own "amen" to those?

Cami-
Pretty sad how they try to make little girls into big girls so quick, isn't it?

Steph-
I pull the same tricks. We couldn't even find capris this year - only "skimmers", which are much longer than Daisy Dukes, so I guess I'll take what I can get.

trish-
With all your girls, I know you do.

3under2-
Ross and TJ Maxx are 2 places I can find things occasionally because they carry things in the off-season.

~j-
I saw that at Target 2 days ago, too, while looking for a one-piece swimsuit for one of my girls. BTW, your husband gave one of my favorite talks on modesty at YW camp last year - he laid it all out so perfectly. I just hope the YW were listening, too.

h.l.-
I agree with everything you said in your deleted comment, too - it all rang true for me! It's pretty frustrating, isn't it?

Rebecca said...

What's wrong with crocs? I wouldn't call the sandals, but...my little ones like them.
Anyhow, if you lived here, you wouldn't really need to buy shorts, sandals, or swim suits. You could get by without them pretty comfortably. And my neighbor's house is for sale, so it's perfect timing for you to make an impulsive move. Plus, from what I hear, Thumbelina is totally jealous of our weather.

Pam said...

I'm with Rebecca...at least on the implusive move part. (Never worn Crocs.) The house down the street is for sale and it's a 5 bedroom with a pool! :oD

Mom not Mum said...

We've been fortunate living in cold/rainy weather that we don't have much trouble with clothes - I'm sure in a month when we get back to ARizona I will have a harder time finding clothes that work - good thing she's already used to wearing a t-shirt under 1/2 her dresses.

Sybrina said...

AMEN! Send it in, if you haven't already!

cari said...

Oh, I know. Now that my daughter is growing out of toddler sizes it's going to be so much harder to find clothes. I don't understand why you would want to dress a girl like a mini adult. That totally bugs me. Another thing that bugs is that probably 80% of boys clothes have some stupid character or picture on them. I hate that.

Shellie said...

I think you cold go around and get signatures on that letter- turn it into a petition!

Farscaper said...

AMEN!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!

I have to look for a LONG time to find a dress with sleeves (or at least a jacket that goes with the dress) for my daughter.

Knowing how tall I am... can you imagine my frustration in finding clothes that fit when the super short dresses are in fashion? They are just long shirts on me.

I hate even thinking about swimsuits in WINTER. I hate going to the store to find a good sun hat to protect my kids for a HOT August day at the zoo and find nothing but winter ski bibs and gloves.