Thursday, June 19, 2008

Seriously... ROLLERSKATES!

I used to be quite the skater in my day. I would pull on those beauties and skate around my neighborhood, The Shamrock (our local rink back in Cali), and as I got older, The Strand. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Southern California, The Strand is miles and miles of sidewalk that runs along the beaches. It is also the perfect place for people-watching, which is a super fun activity. And so, I could skate myself ragged, checking out all the interesting characters that shared The Strand with me - bikers, skater boys, runners, dog-walkers, and fellow skaters. I can't remember what happened to my prized skates, except that they must have been left behind in my quick move to Utah. I probably assumed people didn't skate up mountains and they wouldn't be needed. Pity.

A few months ago, while I was still pregnant, I had a strong desire to rollerskate. No, not roller blade, roller skate. Rollerblades and my ankles do not get along. Anyway, I dismissed the thought because I did not want to harm my growing bambino, but the idea has continued to grow. So I started to do research - where could I buy skates? Other than the local skating rink there were only skates for kids available. And I was NOT going to pay $300 for a pair of professional rollerskates, as I am not a professional (yet). Apparently the market for 'quad-skates' (as I discovered they are called) is all in kids age 6 and under.

Aren't the 80's back, though? I mean, all the other things I loved as a kid are cool again - Care Bears, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, I even saw some Garbage Pail Kids cards the other day. 80's music is all over the radio, girls are even wearing those Madonna-type clothing styles and leg warmers again. And so I ask...where are the rollerskates?!

Online, of course.

I looked on the internet and found an amazing array of skates available, although I did not want to purchase them without trying them on or seeing the real thing. I mean - ROLLERSKATES! This is a serious purchase. I decided to forget about it. And then the longing grew... so I caved.

The skates pictured above are on their way.

So if you see a 30-something lady skating down the river trail (or around my neighborhood, for that matter) like a crazy lunatic with a smile on her face, it's probably me.

Just smile and wave.

16 comments:

Pam said...

I'm grinning right along with you! Roller skate birthday parties were the BEST when we were little. Mmmmm, and red ropes and popcorn at Cal Skate. Yippee!

Rebecca J. said...

Are you going to wear a helmet? :o)

Gerb said...

pam-
Red ropes! Maybe I'll have to get me a pack of those, too.

rebecca-
Yes, I'm hoping to find the skull model I had pictured in my last post.

Teachinfourth said...

Whoa...

I am speechless, I have no speech.

Rebecca said...

If that turns out to be a good way to lose the baby weight (do you even have any to lose still? Well, I do!), will you please let me know. I might look forward to exercising every day if it involved a pair of skates like that!

Joey said...

I've just taken up roller skating again, got myself a pair of Skorpion Quadline skates. I don't much like rollerblading either ...

Chelle! said...

This, I do have to see. The last time I went 'rollerskating', I fell, a girl rolled over my arm and broke it. Not a good rollerskating experience!!

Farscaper said...

I'm jealous. I always wanted to be able to skate. To feel like you're flying at any given moment (on the right smooth surface).

Read my comments on your last post about bonking your head. You'll understand why me and wheels on my feet don't mix.

RG PetComm said...

Here is a product that skaters can use with their dogs: http://www.rgpetcomm.com

The SmartWalk Manager for responsible dog owners who:
* Love exercising with their pets
* Like the convenience of having items available to them while walking and/or traveling with their pets
* Having treats available as rewards at the time of the good behavior
* Would like the possibility of doing more than holding leashes while walking their dog(s)

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies." !!

cari said...

I'm with you on the rollerskates. When I was about 10 I used to skate out on our driveway with my skating skirt and all. I pretended to be a figure skater. I could do tricks and everything. And roller skating parties were the best! Those were the days!

Good for you on taking it up again! It'll be one more thing that your kids will be amazed you can do well. (I'm still remembering your story about beating your oldest in Ping Pong. So funny.)

Hi! said...

I went Roller Skating (roller blading doesn't agree with me either) on Wednesday. I had a BLAST picked out a bunch of songs on the Juke Box and wobbled my way around the rink.

Then I got over confident and smacked into the block wall then fell on my tush. I still can barely sit or stand. But I am going back tonight to try it again. I can't wait.

So you enjoy it and have a blast.

Cami said...

If you need a partner down that trail, I may be available (if elemenoB could babysit). I love rollerSKATES! I used to skate everywhere too. Too bad there was no "Strand" in Indiana!

Gerb said...

tchn5th-
You'll be even more speechless if you see me on those skates. I may have a paper bag with eye-holes over my head for the first couple weeks.

rebecca-
You'll be the first to know if skating helps the jelly-belly melt away. I am hoping it will!

joey-
Are you that kid teachinfourth is always writing about on his blog? I'm not up on my skate brands, but Skorpion Skates sound pretty cool.

chelle-
Maybe I'll skate over to our next card swap...

farscaper-
Flying...that's a good way to describe it. Maybe that explains why I have such fond skating memories? Flying around as a child/teen. Who doesn't wish they could fly?!

rg-
That is the funniest "comment" I have ever gotten, so I will leave it there. I have no dog - I have 9 kids! NINE! Would I be a responsible pet owner if I had 9 kids AND a dog? I think not.

cari-
I can SO totally relate! I thought I was Dorothy Hammill out there in my driveway. Oh, to be a kid again...

hi-
That's the way to do it, get back up after you fall and keep having fun. I love that I'm not the only one who is taking up skating again!

cami-
I think I'm going solo until I get the hang of it again, but once I can do some cool jumps and figure skating moves I'll send elemenoB on over!

Gina said...

This pretty much sums up why Gerb is the greatest. You are so one of a kind and great at it. I love this! I can only hope to see you doing this. What a great thing.

It's all about the "Crew" said...

Have you noticed the sign at Classic Skating to adults before?

It basically tells us to be careful, that we can rent protective gear there and they RECOMMEND it, and to remember that the bigger we are, the harder we fall. Nice!

I hope I don't find you in the middle of our sidewalk :) If I do, though I will of course come scrape you off!

annette said...

I have fond memories of rollerskating parties as a kid. Let me know when you go skating and I'll join you. I am so out of practice- you might have to go slow- but I could use the exercise!