Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's All About Attitude

Teenagers.

By the end of July, there will be 3 of them living in our house. (Technically, Thumbelina will only be 12, which doesn't end in 'teen', but once they're in middle school and want braces and contact lenses and have an ipod permanently attached to an ear andandand... they qualify.)

It's a funny age, isn't it? When I had 5 kids between the ages of 0 and 10 people would always say to me, "Just you wait until they are teenagers. They won't be so fun and precious then." And, OK, life is not always perfect with teens, but I still think my kids are pretty awesome. I think it has everything to do with attitude.

My mother-in-law once told me that she enjoyed her kids as teenagers because she chose to. I decided I would do the same, although I slip at times and become frustrated and ornery. But you know what I realized? That just makes them frustrated and ornery, too. When we laugh with each other and listen (really listen) and consider each others' feelings, it's amazing what kind of a relationship I have with these kids.

Like I said, I am not perfect - and neither are my teens - but we can sure have fun working on it together. There will still be times when my oldest sUn (misspelling intentional - he often thinks the world revolves around him) drives me insane and my 2 "big girls" roll their eyes over how insensitive and uncool I can be, but I think being a mom to teenagers is pretty grand.






(and having 3 live-in babysitters is just a bonus)

7 comments:

cari said...

Yeah, teenagers are full of attitude but I have to agree they are a lot of fun. I have really enjoyed my teenagers too. My oldest is no longer a teenager and I have to say, having an adult child is a whole other story. Not that's she's bad or anything, it's just really different.

Threeundertwo said...

I'm more scared of the teenage years than I care to admit. I'll have 3 teens too. I like your attitude.

Farscaper said...

In church you will have to pass out a list of "what they don't tell you about teenagers" so those of us still waiting for that stage will have a better idea of what we're in for. (that was one long sentance).

I think my kids are fun and awesome to be around.. but then the oldest two are only 8 and they still think mom and dad are cool and can do amazing things (husband can juggle and do a hand stand etc... that's cool to 8 year olds)

Gerb said...

cari-
You seem to be a fun mom-of-teens with a great attitude. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like to have adult children!

3under2-
I try to have the + attitude, but they still scare me, too. Good luck to all of us!

farscaper-
I think you will get a kick out of your kids as teens, list or none. (I think we will, too. I can't wait for your third child to be a teen - do you think he'll still be as smiley?)

Rebecca said...

If it's true that teenagers are full of attitude, maybe that's the reason I still feel like one (inside, at least)! And, not to one-up you all, but...actually, yes, to do just that...before too long I'll have a bunch of teenagers at the same time, and they'll all be FEMALE! Yikes! :)

Shellie said...

I agree. They are a roller coaster ride, but personally, my teenager is so much easier now than when she was 2.

annette said...

I have 2 teens and I LOVE IT! They can be moody- but who isn't? They are such a big help and keep me in stiches with their comments. Maybe we're just lucky? I'm counting my blessings!