Wednesday, September 26, 2012

YOLO?


I can't remember exactly what I said that prompted ElemenoB to respond to me with a strange word I've never heard before: YOLO.  I asked her what the heck that was supposed to mean, which was followed by she and Thumbelina marveling over the fact that I had never heard of it.

"Seriously, Mom?  You've never heard of YOLO?"

"People have been saying it for, like, ever!"

I thought they were making it up, which would be completely in character for these two.  But no, they would not relent.

"Look it up!  We're totally not kidding!"

So I did.  For those of you who are as ignorant, out of it, and old fashioned as I - YOLO is an acronym for You Only Live Once.  It's basically this generation's excuse to do something stupid.  Sort of like how saying "bless his/her heart" before saying negative things about someone is supposed to cancel out what you say.  YOLO is like saying I'm about to do something stupid but hey, You Only Live Once! and then it's suddenly okay to do the stupid thing.  Because YOLO!!  It's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  (Stupid is apparently my go-to word today.)

Once I realized that they were indeed using a (mostly) well-known phrase, I admitted I was out of the loop (not a huge revelation or anything, by the way).

"NBD", ElemenoB responded.

I just smiled knowingly.

But secretly I wondered,  What the heck does NBD mean?!    

It's true.  I'm old.









(For those who are as inept as I, NDB = No Big Deal.  But why wouldn't you just SAY the words?  It takes the same amount of breath, for the love!)





4 comments:

Rachel said...

OMSH!

Oh My Stinkin' Heck :D Just so you know..... ;)

Holmes said...

I love it! I heard my teenagers saying YOLO a few weeks ago and had to ask what it meant. Apparently it's making it's way around Provo High. Other places too, I'm sure, but I'm with you--I never heard it before...along with all of the other acronyms that they use. And I agree--what's wrong with just saying the words!

Alison said...

You must not have seen this video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xdsmckckyk

Heather Rose-Chase said...

Yikes. My kids don't even use words any more, just acronyms. I feel your pain. IFYP. *sigh*