Saturday, September 15, 2012

Smashing


One of my favorite things about the summer and fall is the fresh produce that is available.  The absolute best is the tomatoes that are in our own backyard.  I noticed we had about 7 or 8 that were just about ready to be picked so I mentally put them on our dinner menu for this week.

I found the perfect night for tomatoes to complement our dinner.  I excitedly went outside to pick those red, ripe beauties... and found this:



All over the back yard.  All eight of them.  Broken to bits in the grass.

I had an idea of who was responsible, but I knew I couldn't talk to the kids just then because I was a teensy bit boiling mad.  Once I had calmed down enough to be rational, I called the culprits to the backyard and asked which of them had done this to our tomatoes.

Neither of them.

They told me who HAD done it, though.  Who had picked them off of the vine, pitched them into the air, then smashed them to smithereens with the plastic baseball bat.  There was no logical explanation, except that there was no baseball to be found - but these were right there.

Any guesses as to who the guilty one is?

I never would have guessed.  It was...






Princess!  I didn't think she had it in her.

Maybe we need to get her signed up for softball?

Or anger management?

4 comments:

HL said...

I don't know if I could have waited to do a confrontation. I think I have gotten better at being calm when going after the kids for doing stuff that they know better. Every so often I don't.

Sorry for your tomato loss.

A Lark said...

I've heard throwing tomatoes (or eggs, or any other thing that "smashes") can be very therapeutic. (: I'm interested to hear her version of what happened.

Rachel said...

You are my hero Gerb. You waited until your temperature had cooled before confronting. Man, I've got a ways to go still.......

Makes me giggle who the culprit is though.... totally wouldn't have guessed that one.

mommeeof10 said...

I detest tomatoes. I do not like any food that has a mushy texture. However, hubby loves tomatoes, so I planted a package of tomato seeds. I figured at most 5 or 6 plants would survive the kids and dogs. Nope, we have a dozen plants. Ripe tomatoes are piling up,as he can not eat them fast enough. Maybe I'll make tomato sauce?