Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes




One of my favorite flavors of fall is pumpkin.  It's not that I have to wait until the leaves start changing colors to enjoy it, it's more that it just feels right.  Last night was the perfect night for some pumpkin-infused pancakes for dinner.  Throw in some chocolate chips and what do you have?  Awesomeness.

This is what I call a cheater recipe because I could totally have make it from scratch, but I didn't.  Here is pretty much all that you need:



The recipe I came up with (see the end of the post) made this many pancakes:



You can top them with syrup or applesauce or whatever you like, but we like whipped cream. 



I have a confession to make.  I've become something of a whipped cream snob.  I used to love me some Cool Whip straight out of the container - I could eat it like ice cream!  But my friend Dave once pointed out how simple it was to make my own, and how much better it tasted.  Man-oh-man was he ever right!  So for those of you who already know what a beautiful thing home-whipped cream is, go make some.  For you who don't, here's what I do.

Dump the whipping cream into your mixer bowl (or into a regular bowl if you don't have a fancy mixer - it still works, it just takes longer). 


Add a little sugar - granulated or powdered, it doesn't matter (I added about 1/3 cup of sugar to 1 1/2 pints of whipping cream).  Then whip that stuff on high speed until it looks like whipped cream.


(As a little side note, I have discovered that you can also easily make chocolate whipped cream by adding a little cocoa before whipping.  Spread that on brownies instead of frosting for a taste of chocolate heaven.)


All of my very willing taste-testers agreed - this recipe is definitely a keeper!




Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

5 cups 'just add water' whole wheat pancake mix*
3 1/2 cups water (add more if you like a thinner batter)
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup mini chocolate chips**

Add water to pancake mix.  Stir like crazy until there are no gross flour clumps left.  Stir in pumpkin, then chocolate chips.  Pour onto a hot griddle and cook until lightly browned on both sides.  


*If you want to whip up your own pancake batter, go ahead.  Just add some canned pumpkin and mini chocolate chips to your batter.  You can also just use regular pancake mix.  It doesn't have to be whole wheat.  I'm not the boss of you.

**Yes, they have to be mini in my opinion.  The regular sized chips don't work out right and they burn on the griddle.

6 comments:

Just SO said...

Oh that sounds YUMMY!!! Thank you so much!! This will definitely be on the menu in the next little bit!

Shawna said...

Everything looks so yummy! Hahaha, you're a whipped cream snob ;)

Richard & Natalie said...

These sound heavenly! I can always use something new to add to my list of "comfort foods" and I think this fits the bill.

A suggestion for the Whip Cream Snob, try using brown sugar in your cream next time. It gives it a little bit different, but yummy taste that pairs perfectly with pumpkin.

A Lark said...

These look awesome!! (:

Petersons Blog Spot said...

"Stir like crazy until there are no gross flour clumps left"... that's funny but true. Flour clumps are gross.

Natalie, do you add the same amount of brown sugar as white sugar?

Richard & Natalie said...

Petersons Blog Spot, For a pumpkin cake that I make you mix 1/2 cup brown sugar in a 1/2 pint of cream then fold in 8 oz of Cool-Whip. So I think that Gerb's 1/3 cup sugar to 1 1/2 pints of cream sounds about right.