Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When You Gotta Go



I sure do love this little stinker.  I was hoping I wouldn't have any stories of school shenanigans to tell this year, but here we are in the third week of school - and I got one of those phone calls on Monday.  The kind that start with, "We've got Hubba here in the office..."

What could it be this time?

They always let him be the one to break the news to me.  So as soon as he was on the line I said, "What's up Hubba?  I thought we weren't going to do this this year."

He explained that he was in trouble for peeing in the bushes during recess.  And because I have the mind of a 12-year-old boy, I had to cover the phone while I burst out laughing.  (I know, I know - it's not funny.  But laughing is how I deal with things.)  Once I had composed myself, I asked Hubba if anyone was close by or if anyone had seen him.

"Well, obviously someone saw me or I wouldn't have got in trouble. (smart aleck!)  But Mom, I had to go sooooooo bad!"

"There are bathrooms, Hubba!"

"Not on the playground!  And I really, really had to go!"


We talked it over for a few more minutes before agreeing (against his will - "Do you have to tell Dad?!") to discuss it more at home.

He served his time in the school's detention room (called LRR, although I'm not sure what those letters stand for) and then went back to class.

When I got off the phone I immediately called Allen, who always helps give me a better perspective on these things.  I concluded that I'd rather he be known as The Kid Who Peed In The Bushes than being stuck with the stigma of The Second Grader Who Peed His Pants.  But still, this was not acceptable playground behavior.

Hubba and I had a good talk about things once he got home and he told me, "I promise I'll try to have no more visits to the LRR this year."

"You promise you'll try?  Nope.  What does Yoda say?" (I love making my kids quote Star Wars!  So much wisdom there.)

Another sigh, along with an eye roll. "Do or do not.  There is no try."

At least we're headed in the right direction.

6 comments:

Just SO said...

They really should have bathrooms out on the playground! Good luck to hubba in staying out of LRR.

Find out what those mean...it's bugging me trying to figure it out.
I'm going to guess that the last R is for room.

Rachel said...

First grade. Had to go SUPER BAD while I was at recess. Pooped my pants.

Much better to be known as the kid who peed in the bushes....... :D

Kids around me during class would say, "What is that smell"? And I'd say, "I don't know! It's not me"! :D

Karen Hill said...

I was talking to Tori about your little Hubba just last night!! I am sorry you get those calls, but I sure love seeing the posts!

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Ugh! He is not the only one.

Last year, Jackjack's teacher explained that if you left class to use the bathroom, you had to make up the time at recess.

Naturally, someone didn't want to stay in at recess...and when I picked him up after school he was a little fragrant. Ahem.

Anaise said...

Wishing you both a happy year!

A Lark said...

Reminds me of when I was teaching preschool and one of the boys was peeing on the playground - I came up to him and he said "Look! I made a rainbow!" Your little guy has tons of personality - but sometimes those are the ones who "break" the rules, I guess. (:
P.S. LRR stands for "Low Reinforcement Room" but that doesn't really matter. To kids it stands for: "I'm in big trouble and my parents are going to be called."