Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting In Shape

photo from commons.wikimedia.org

I dusted off my rollerskates the other day and went for a little spin. I am embarrassed to say that it was roughly 3 miles round-trip and I could barely make it back home. I thought to myself (as I attempted to keep up with my husband - who was running well ahead of me)... I need to eat better. I need to exercise more. I am out of shape.

And then I thought about that phrase: Out Of Shape. What the heck does that mean, anyway? Out of what shape? What shape am I supposed to be, and who decides? Am I a rectangle? Square? Circle? I started looking at others that I passed as I rolled on (wheezing) by. What shape were they in? Triangle? Octagon? None of these shapes seemed to fit.

And then - it came to me... the kind shape I wanted to be in. A heart! This would this require a different kind of change. Not a change in what I ate, but a change in who I was. I could be more kind towards others. Less judgmental. I could look for opportunities to do nice things for my neighbors, friends and family - even perfect strangers! I could look at others and try to see their potential and worth... no matter what their shape. Maybe then I could be a heart.

Or a star! I always wanted to be a star. Someone that others could look up to. Not afraid to stand out; a bright, shining beacon of light in a sea of darkness. A luminous guide for those who need help finding their way. I would love to be in star shape.

Well-rounded like a circle?

Sharp-looking like a triangle?

I decided I wasn't 'out of shape' after all. I think I could make the best of whatever shape I was labeled as or determined to be.

I am in shape.

9 comments:

laura said...

You already are a Star and a Heart!

I went running (slash walking) today and tried really hard to think about something even slightly profound, like I often read that others do. But all I could think was, just keep running. Keep running. You can do it. Keep running.

So, I'm impressed that you can rollerskate and think at the same time!

Teachinfourth said...

Shape up...or ship out.

Ship shape.

In shape.

Out of shape.

Shape of My Heart - Backstreet Boys

Shapes...


No Name

A circle's a circle
A square's a square
A triangle's part of the game.

Yet he with one lump
five edges and a curve
should as of yet have...no name.

- Teachinfourth

Anaise said...

I agree with Laura--you're already a star and a heart--how that is possible, I don't know, but as we're talking about the metaphysical, I guess anything goes. :)

There's just always room for improvement, isn't there?

Sarise said...

I am so jealous you had time to use your skates!! I am finally moving to a place where I can blade for miles and miles without too many large hills, and guess what? They're too small!!!! Thanks Jake.

Rebecca said...

This sounds like a brilliant picture book.

Anonymous said...

I think you do a pretty good job already. Yesterday Jan showed me the cards you made her. What a neat idea and so much up her alley. They truly meant a lot to her. It seems like every time I go over she has to show or comment on something you or your family has done for her. She truly does enjoy your friendship. Thanks for taking the time to do personal and meaningful things for her. She will treasure these items and especially the memories for years to come.
Kara

Gerb said...

Laura- These days, I HAVE to think while I rollerskate. Otherwise I just want to stop so my legs will quit burning.

T5th- Nice poem. I keep trying to picture one lump, 5 edges and a curve. Could you draw me up an illustration?

Anaise- Yes, there always is. And I think that's a good thing.

Sarise- Sounds like shopping for your birthday (or whatever holiday comes up next) will be easy for Boyd!

Bec- I always wanted to be an author. And I even have a SIL who is an artist. Hmmm...

Kara- Thanks. I do not think it is possible for Jan to think as much of me as I do of her. I hope I'm the kind of grandma she is when I get to that point. It is so fun to think of little things to do that she will appreciate!

Amy said...

It sounds to me like you're talking yourself out of getting your cute body out and moving! Rationalize all you want, but don't give up!!! (Did my deaf side just hurt your hearing side?)

hintonrae said...

Pffft. Eat some donuts and keep moving. Love the shape you're in. And obviously your heart is in beautiful shape.