Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Heber Is Hubba Heaven

We were having a bit of an issue with getting Hubba to sleep in his own bed.

Coolister's bed? Fine.

All-a-Boy's bed? Great.

The 'big girls' bed? Anytime.

Our bed? Perfect.

His bed? No way, Jose.

So I presented Hubba with a plan which played on his affinity for trains: Sleep in your own bed for 30 days and you can ride on a real train. He didn't miss ONE DAY, and yesterday was the time to make good on my promise.

He grabbed his 'train hat' and we headed out to Heber City, home of the Heber Valley Railroad.

We stopped at Dairy Keen (forevermore to be known as "The Train Restaurant") for some lunch.
It was here that I realized I did not need to promise a train ride at all.

There were plenty of train attractions to keep his attention for hours.
But, a promise is a promise, so off to the train station we went.
He could not believe this train had a real conductor.
He sort of stalked the conductor, in fact.
Luckily, Mr. Conductor was very nice about it.
He even let Hubba help with the brake when needed.
Hubba was incredulous at the idea that he could run through the train, one end to the other, as it was moving, and no one seemed to care.
So, run we did. Repeatedly.
He also could not believe that, when sticking his head out of the window, no one told him to stop.
He did it a lot.
He also occasionally enjoyed just watching things whiz by outside the window.
Near the end of our ride, Hubba sat down on a bench in the open air of the caboose. I sat beside him, welcoming the rest. He laid his head against my arm and said, "Mom, I love you."
I began to respond when he jumped up and started to run towards the engine at the other end of the train.
As he ran, he shouted to the other passengers, "THIS IS THE BEST DAY I EVER HAD IN MY WHOLE LIFE!"

I just followed after him, happy to have been a part of it.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

That is SO AWESOME!! :)

Broughton said...

That is the cutest story I have ever heard!!

Cami said...

You are an awesome mom! And HOORAY for Hubba sleeping in his own bed.

P.S. I may have to steal your idea for my "Thing 2." She has reverted back to pooing in her undies daily, and I am sick of being the pooper scooper!

Kimm said...

What a great story! I'm gonna have to try that one with Lunch Box, he won't sleep in his own bed for nothing, and he loves trains! Thanks for the post!

Teachinfourth said...

Right on track with that idea, Gerb!

Amber said...

We eat at Dairy Keen too. Every time we go to Heber. Hooray for fellow train lovers.

Rebecca said...

It looked like a private ride for you & H. until that last picture and paragraph. But a mostly empty train is almost as good as a private ride! What a great day.

Mrs. Black said...

Way to go Hubba! I am glad he got his first best day of his life :)

Michelle said...

That is too cute!

Anaise said...

What a sensational reward! And what a fun date.

I've been a slacker about our daddy/daughter and mother/daughter dates . . . after reading this I think I need to get back in gear again.

annette said...

Very heart warming! What a special day that you will always remeber.

We too have a train lover-dinohunter. We took him to Heber when he was 3. Reading this brought back sweet memories for me.

hintonrae said...

That's awesome. I actually used the same train trick, believe it or not, for getting Lawson to go potty. We took him to Tweetsie Railroad. Fortunately, he kinda forgot that he'd already been there once before. ;)

Shellie said...

Good old Dairy Keen. What a fun day for you both.

Chelle! said...

He is so cute!!! Plus, that is the cutest story ever!!! Oh, and the Dairy Keen...yes, my favorite!

Amy said...

...Sooooooo... now that he got his reward is he back in your bed? Or did it actually break the habbit for good?

Gerb said...

Bec- The train was actually pretty full, but most people rode in the open-air cars while Hubba preferred the regular train cars. Actually, he preferred them all!

Annette- Does Dinohunter still love trains? I ask because he seems like the kind of kid who decided what he liked and has stuck with it for years! He is one of my favorites.

Amy- We were a little worried about that ourselves, but he's still in his bed for good! They say (whoever 'they' is) a habit is developed over a 3-week period, so we were hoping it would hold true if we went an extra week. Now I just need to think of a similar reward for Curly if she stops wearing diapers!

annette said...

He "evolved" from trains to dinosaurs around age 5 and that one stuck, (thus the nickname). He plans on being a paleontologist. Yep. You got him pegged!