Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Warm Happy Feelings

Last Sunday I was trying to explain to my class that, when faced with the question of whether something is right or true, God can give us a warm, happy feeling in our hearts to confirm it.

I told the story of Jeff, a boy who was being taught by some missionaries and wanted to know if what they taught was true. He prayed and had a warm, happy feeling that spread throughout his entire body, traveling all the way from the tips of his toes to the top of his head. (I like to really get into my stories.)

I told them that they could pray to know if something was right or true any time - even during our class - and they could get that warm, happy feeling.

"You know what, Sisto Bwack?" Super C asked. "My woym fee-o-wing is up to he-o alweady!" he told me, indicating the top of his head with his hand.

"That's awesome, Super C!" I told him. "Did you know that if..."

"Well guess WHAT?" N--, who was joining our class this week, interrupted. "MY warm feeling is WAY up to ABOVE my HEAD!" he said excitedly, waving his hand to show me how far the feeling had spread.

"Well, N--, I think..."

"Well, MY feel-een SHOT THROUGH THE ROOF and it's WAY UP in the SKY!" Hubba countered.

"So? My fee-o-wing is alweady in SPACE!" Miss S challenged the boys.

N-- immediately came back with "NOW mine's in HEAVEN! NO one's can go HIGHER than HEAVEN!"

Everyone was quiet, contemplating the amazing height that N--'s warm feeling had reached.

Miss E had been quietly sitting with her hand raised throughout the entire conversation. "Yes, Miss E?" I asked.

"My woym feo-ling just came into my hawt (heart) and stayed they-o."

I smiled. "That is just perfect," I told her.

And no one tried to beat it.

8 comments:

Anaise said...

And that is as good as it gets.

Teachinfourth said...

Warm and squishy, G. Warm and squishy.

Cami said...

Don't you love it? I do!

Caroline said...

Everything is a competition with boys . . . and I don't think that's something they grow out of! Adorable story though, it gave me a smile.

Gina said...

I a little bit cried right now. I didn't even know I was getting the warm feeling, until Miss E. Awwwww!

hintonrae said...

That teared me up. I used to teach the preschoolers at our former church until our wonderful pastor of 35 yrs retired and we got a dud who annihilated our congregation and kind of chased all of the people that had been there for a hundred years away. I adored my preschoolers and their warm happy feelings. Thanks for the reminder.

Nance said...

Very cute I love the phonetic spelling of the kidlets dialogue!! What an awesome blog!! WHat an awesome teacher you are!!

laura said...

I love Primary!!