Thursday, June 18, 2009

Anticipation


I am up to my ears in camp stuff.

Half the food was purchased a couple of days ago, the rest will be bought the day before camp.

My kitchen and pantry floor, as well as my kitchen table and counter, are covered with bags of canned goods and peanut butter and various ingredients which will be magically transformed into some delicious camp meals next week.

All of the hamburger is cooked and frozen, but I still need to cook and shred the 20 pounds of chicken.

I need to experiment with a Dutch oven three times this week so I'll know what I'm doing when cooking up at camp. I'm not sure when I'll have time, but it needs to happen.

My devotionals are typed up and ready but part of my camp craft still needs to be cut into one-yard sections.

I have yet to collect enough ice chests to pack the perishable foods in. I also need to freeze some more juice bottles to keep things cold all next week.

I am constantly praying for at least one lightning storm while up at camp next week. I feel a bit selfish with this request, but the skies over MIA Shalom are amazing when the lightning flashes. And after a count of 1-one-thousand, 2-one-thousand, the earth shakes as the thunder booms... and all is right in my world.

The empty spaces in our kitchen and garage are filled with boxes and plastic bins - some filled, some empty. By next Monday evening these containers will be cleaned, packed and ready for a week of Camp MIA Shalom.

The empty space in my heart that yearns for my week in the outdoors - close to nature and God and 250 teenage girls - cannot wait to be filled.

5 days... and counting.

I am like a little kid who can't sleep the week before a trip to Disneyland.

The anticipation is killing me.

13 comments:

Brown Thumb Mama said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I want to go with you. :o)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your lighning storm.

Cami said...

I am so jealous! But I hope you have SO much fun!

Shellie said...

Make your family dinners in the dutch oven- it's yummy and fun!

Rebecca said...

Are you the camp cook, Gerb? I wish I could go. :)

Gerb said...

BTM- It is SO fun - and so much more.

Cami- I know I will. I'll miss you.

Shellie- That's the plan... if time allows for it!

Bec- Yep. For the stake, anyway. And you know I wish you could come, too! Winter camp of ? years ago needs to be duplicated.

hintonrae said...

Wish I could come along. Sounds like it's going to be so much fun--I'll be thinking of you while I'm in San Jose (I think that's where I'll be in 5 days' time...brain not fully functional right at this second...) :) Have a great trip and take lots of pics.
L

Mrs. Black said...

Yay for girls camp! We are going next week too! Have fun :)

Teachinfourth said...

Wishing you many blustery storms and torrents of thundery rain.

sue-donym said...

Have so much fun, and keep an eye on my little girl for me. I'll look for you on Wed when I come up for the day!

Gerb said...

L- Is that San Jose, CA? Enjoy your trip. I'll have more pictures than anyone will want to see. I promise!

Shannon- Are you a camp lady, too? Awesome! Have fun!

T5th- What, no Pina Coladas?

Sue- I definitely will. Please come find me on Wednesday! And bring a cold Izze!

Sarise said...

Girls camp! Yay! That's one calling I would volunteer to have. so many good memories........

Chelle! said...

And now...it is all over and I am sad!!! What a great and fantastic week!! I am glad that I got to share it with you!!

Chelle! said...

P.S. I am truly sorry that you had so much to do...but, yes, it was all worth it.