Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Child's Prayer

In a prayer over breakfast (by Princess):


... And bless us to be safe. And good. And nice to everyone. And bless the food.

And bless that everyone in the world will not be constipated.


When her prayer was finished (and my laughter was stifled) I asked her if she knew what constipated meant.

"Yeah!" she said, "Remember when you showed me how to say it in sign language?"


Actually, no. I don't remember. I don't deny it, but I can not recall sitting down with my 6-year-old and showing her how to sign 'constipated'.

She then proceed to show me the various signs for different types of poop,
thus confirming her story.

And so I stand corrected.

But hey, the good news is... no constipation for anyone today!

13 comments:

Martha said...

Lol!!!!

Teachinfourth said...

Well, if she's ever lost amidst a sea of deaf people, she'll know the important signs...

simplysarah said...

awesome prayer!

Amanda said...

LOL! That is SO amazing!!

Amy said...

Wait a second. Gerb, I don't know the sign for constipated. In fact, I don't think there is one... unless you use lots of facial expressions and gestures. Are you sure you weren't making up the signs as you were teaching??? Ahem... can you show me the signs when we see each other next? I can't wait!

Gina said...

You are killing me! I agree with Amy. Minus all the facial expressions, I am not sure I could give one concise sign for that word. Killing me!

Anaise said...

That's a great prayer! I think I'll smile all day because of it.

Rebecca said...

That's so thoughtful and tender. And I appreciate it!

Mom of Three said...

ahhh hahaha, thanks Princess! I look forward to feeling "regular" all day!!

Once again Gerb, love your blog!! Thanks for sharing!

Gerb said...

Amy and Gina - Surely you jest!! You don't know the sign for constipation?! How about corn-poop? Peek-a-boo poop? Diarrhea? Rapid-fire-poop? Perhaps I could be convinced to produce a short video clip - all in the name of interpreter education, of course.

If I were to produce such a video, are there any other fecal signs you are needing to learn? Because, as the apparent lone expert on this topic, I'm totally here to help.

Cami said...

I love the Princess, and her prayer!

looking forward to the upcoming video!

Farscaper said...

LOL!!!!

That's sooo awesome! I love some of the crazy things kids focus on during a prayer.

Amy said...

Gerb, in the name of interpreter education will you please post those videos. I just have to see the signs for those things. Diarrhea I've got... rapid fire poop? I don't got that one. Peek-a-boo... I think I know that one. That's the one we call turtle heading. Anyway, just post the signs you've got. Can't wait to see them! lol.