Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Treasure

Mother's Day was, in a word, awesome.

I got a beautiful new rosebush with "Our Mother's Day Mailbox Rosebush" labeled on the front.

Throughout the day I found letters from each of my kids nestled in the bush... including this classic from Coolister (who, may I point out, is almost sixteen).
On Monday there was no school and I was surprised with Mother's Day, Part II. I was spoiled so rotten I was afraid I was beginning to stink.

When I went outside I found that Allen had built a planter where the new rosebush could reside.
Throughout the day the kids would ask me, "Did you plant your flowers yet?" To be honest, I figured that if I held out long enough they would be planted for me.

No such luck.

As I washed the breakfast dishes this morning Princess called to me, "Mom! There's a mailbox by your flowers!" I looked out the window thinking that perhaps I'd find the purple Columbine flowers I received from church on Sunday planted by our mailbox.

Here is what I saw instead:
Indeed, a quaint, rustic looking mailbox was there in the flowerbed. And the flag was up. You know what that means...

Mail!
It was a letter from my sweetheart.
I'm not going to tell you what it said. Some things are for me alone. I will say this, though: Boy, oh boy am I a lucky lady.

I decided that after all of the work he put into everything the least I could do was get those roses in the ground.

I left the kidlets in the house with ElemenoB (who was home with a sore throat) and set to digging myself a hole. Almost immediately I hit a rock.

Cursed ground! I thought. I tried to pry it out with the shovel and found that it was not a rock at all...
It was some kind of burlap sack. Buried treasure!

Suddenly the kids' excitement for me to plant the rosebush the day before made sense. I pulled the sack out and unwrapped its contents, anxious to see what was hidden inside.
I grabbed the drill and removed the lid...
Pulled off the newspaper...
...and found my buried treasure.

I am absolutely overwhelmed at the effort that went into making this Mother's Day(s) completely unforgettable.

But you want to know where the real treasure is?

Right here.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. -Matthew 6:21

17 comments:

hintonrae said...

Awwwwww!!!! That is soooo awesome! What a great Mother's Day. I'm so impressed by the amount of effort and thought that went into that...I think I am going to show this post to my husband so he can take a hint. (Although I do have a tendency to kill every rosebush I plant.)And just for the record, we can't ever be spoiled enough. We're moms, not princesses.

sue-donym said...

that is the best ever! Now how can I get this post to my husband and make it look subtle?

~j. said...

awesome indeed!

Queen Scarlett said...

Brilliant!!! I adore the mailbox... reminds me of all the fun as a kid. Buried treasure... fun fun fun fun!!!

Love the last pic... love.

GaeLynn said...

I knew you'd have a cool Mother's Day. I've been waiting for this post!

simplysarah said...

um, did you just make me cry? Wow. I think so.

Very sweet...even for a bitter getting-older spinster like myself. ;)

laura said...

You have such a super cool family.

laura said...

Oh, and I promise I taught Coolister how to spell better than that!

Cami said...

You are one lucky lady, but your family is even luckier to have you!

Teachinfourth said...

In a word: heartrending.

Lena the Teacher said...

Best Mother's Day EVER!!!!! So Cool!

Pam said...

Fantastic! What an awesome couple of days. You deserve it!

Rebecca said...

I hope this isn't misunderstood, but I just want to say that Allen posesses all the great qualities you'd expect from a manly man, and yet, he has this sweet sensitive side, too. Such a great balance! And you two are such a perfect complementary pair!

Gerb said...

Thanks everyone! It was an amazing 2 days. I truly felt like royalty. I could totally get used to this...

Gina said...

Okay. So I am crying now. Beautiful!

Michelle said...

This is so neat. Love the new planter!

BTW...How long did it take you to train him?

Anaise said...

How fun! Happy Mother's Day!!