Friday, May 1, 2009

Make New Friends And Keep The Old

(Photo stolen from Pam's Facebook page)

Last night my brother and I were able to meet up with an old friend who was in Salt Lake City on business.

When I told Allen that I was going to have dinner with her, he asked, "Who?"

I told him her name may sound familiar because when I am reminiscing over my high school days I will often mention how Pam always got the parts I auditioned for. The parts I wanted. We were in drama and choir together. We never really hung out but we shared a lot of the same interests.

He remembered. And I went.

I went mostly because I am a grown-up now (okay, I pretend) and I enjoy catching up with people from my past. Also, I am now much more mature (pretending again) and do not harbor any ill feelings towards the teenage girl who could out-perform me.

Our visit was delightful. I learned all about what Pam is doing these days along with what she has been up to since our graduation back in 1990.

We talked about schools, jobs, life events, other friends, how stalking is totally underrated...

And here is what I realized.

There are so many great things we can miss out on in life when we keep our vision of others so narrow. When we base our perceptions of people on a limited amount of information we are depriving ourselves of the chance to broaden our circles of friendship.

Last night I realized that I missed out on something great in high school. I can't go back and change that. I can't undo the feelings I harbored towards someone I never really gave myself the chance to become acquainted with.

I also realized that it is never too late to start over.

Pam, it was so wonderful to "meet" you again.

3 comments:

katie said...

You know what's funny is that Brandon and I just learned that lesson ourselves recently... It's amazing how many more friends you can acquire by not basing your opinion on the first impression of a person. We also realized that the only reason for not liking someone is because we don't know them as well as we should.
Even if we can't go back in time, it's a good thing that we still have time to learn from our lessons.

hintonrae said...

That's one of the great things about Facebook, I'm finding--the opportunity to "meet" people all over again and give them, and yourself, the chance to be real with each other. I know so many people who (still) hold grudges based on silly things from high school days when it's so liberating to release those things, and so great to open the door to new acquaintances.

sammisue said...

ok that is a great story. i think i need to be kinder to some people now. i dont want to ever feel that way.