Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Melancholy Day


I planned to write about why I'm feeling melancholy today.

Then I started thinking about the word melancholy and how much I like the way it sounds.

Melancholy. Melancholy, melancholy.

It just rolls off the tongue very nicely. Try it...

Melancholy.

Melancholy, melancholy, melancholy, melancholy.

Have you ever said a word so many times that you start to wonder if you're even saying it correctly anymore?

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

Melancholy.

(Am I saying it the right way anymore?)

And then I started thinking about what a funny word melancholy is.

Melon + Collie = Melancholy

Yet it has nothing to do with melons or collies.

I wondered, if melancholy were a color, would it be a shade of orangey-peach?

Or blue?

Melancholy.

And then I forgot why I was feeling melancholy.

But I still like the word.

Even if I don't like watermelons or collies.




Melancholy.

8 comments:

Gina said...

Very clever, my friend. Always a little spark of sunshine in you whether you like it or not.

Chelle! said...

You? Melancholy? I would never put those two words in a sentence together.

Chelle! said...

P.S. I hope that you are choosing not to serve melons or collies at YW camp!

Maleen said...

You don't like watermelons or collies? Really?

Teachinfourth said...

Amen, Gerb! Both of them are wicked.

annette said...

So fun to watch your thought process go from a to b to c...and feel your mood shift as well.

And then I catch myself going, "hum, rhymes with golly, and jolly, and WALL*E, and, oh no, I'm doing it too...

Here's to minds that wander :)

Rebecca said...

I'd rather be feeling melon-collie than poopy, so that's something...I guess.

NoSurfGirl said...

I think I think of it as sort of an amber color... like the color of light green honedews and orange cantaloupes if they were mixed together.

(that's a little weird..)