Sunday, November 30, 2008

And You Thought You'd Heard It All


This blog could very well be called "Life As I Knew It" with all of the stories I tell you about my past. I have been thinking about that lately. Should I be more focused on the here-and-now?

Here's my conclusion: Nah. I can write about whatever I want.

I have had a few people tell me I should write a book about my childhood and teenage experiences. Well, you'd have to buy a book, but my blog? It's FREE! (Now, that's priceless.)

My sister-in-law's sister (got that?) has apparently written a book which includes one of my experiences. You could go buy her book when it's available - or read all about it here. For FREE!

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago... (fade to past)

Soon after I graduated from high school, my friends and I went on a weekend trip. We returned on a Sunday afternoon, refreshed and ready to get back to school and jobs and whatnot. However, nothing could have prepared me for what I found when I returned home.





Nothing.





We lived in an upstairs apartment, #6 to be exact, of Bay Village Apartments. I unlocked the door and walked up the stairs, my red backpack slung over my shoulder. As I reached the top of the stairs, I wondered if I had somehow entered a vacant apartment... everything was gone. I mean, everything. There were no pictures on the walls, no couches, no tables, no television sets. (Yes, I said sets. My parents each had their own, and they were watched simultaneously.) I walked around the apartment, wondering what thief could possibly steal every single item from our home, unnoticed.

I was in shock.

I wandered around - no bikes on the balcony. No food in the refrigerator. No discarded popcorn kernels hiding in the corners of the kitchen floor.

Wait a minute. The thief took the time to clean up afterwards? This was getting seriously freaky.

I immediately thought of my personal belongings - my bedroom! I ran toward it and noticed something strange - it was the only door in the whole place that was shut. And there was a note taped to the door.

It read:

Dear Gerby,
We moved to a house in Gardena.
Here is our phone number: 555-1234.
Call us when you get home.


Loves, Mom and Dad

I stood there, frozen. They moved? I slowly twisted the doorknob, afraid of what I would find.
My bedroom was exactly as I had left it. It was eerie, like walking into an episode of the Twilight Zone. Posters still covered the walls. Clothing was still strewn about the floor. My bed remained unmade. I collapsed onto the bed, staring up at the ceiling, to let it all sink in...

They moved. Without me.

I thought to call my friend Julie who lived just down the court.

No phones.

I walked to her apartment, filling her in on the details of what had just happened. Julie's mom, (my 2nd mom, incidentally) suggested: "Why don't you just move in with us?"

So I did.




And that's the truth.

18 comments:

~j. said...

Awesome.

Chelle! said...

OH MY!! I, probably, would have died. One of my childhood friends had that similar thing happen to them. On Christmas Eve, her parents read them the story How the Grinch Stole Christmas. When the woke up Christmas morning the living room was completely bare. They had to go search for their Christmas--it was in their new home.

Becky said...

Oh my goodness.....I have tears rolling down my face. :o)

cari said...

Kinda dogged.

Cami said...

Betcha never saw that one coming! And I agree, you should write a book. I would totally buy it! (Even if I can read it for free on your blog.)

Sister Pottymouth said...

Wow. I think I would have come unglued.

Happy Hubby, JJ, Bugs, Nenie and Sadie Jo said...

i have a request for your next blog.....what your parents said and did when you DIDN'T come with them. :)

You are a charecter - i love your blog!!!

Trish said...

Seriously Gerb, you should write a book...so many interesting life experiences...it would be a good one.
This story always makes me sad, though.

Mom not Mum said...

That just kills me - I couldn't imagine!

I grew up in Orange County - Tustin. Graduated in 1991 and then headed off to Ricks.

Gina said...

It this real? How come I don't have a single childhood story that can even hold a candle to any of these doosies? What world did you grow up in. I love these stories. Keep 'em coming, book or not. Just some sort of written version. Too cool!

Allen said...

You should send this "block" to your mom.

Teachinfourth said...

Holy Hannah...

I about hit the floor. I was laughing like crazy, however, I remember a teacher asking us to imagine this type of thing happening when I was in the 7th grade.

I always wondered what it would have been like.

Now I know.

pam said...

Holy moly! How did I miss out on that one?!? A doozy indeed. Yuck!

Holmes said...

Why can I totally picture this happening?! At least they left you a forwarding address...

I seem to remember the Gardena home--I think they lived there when I returned to the old mission stomping grounds for a visit.

Sarah said...

I was so blown away by this that I made Jared read it before coming to bed when he got home from work at midnight last night.

Shellie said...

Wow! And then what happened next? Did your friend have a phone? Did you ever call them? What prompted them to move so suddenly, or did they just forget to tell you??

Maleen said...

Is that really true? That is one of the weirdest stories I have ever heard. Were they just waiting for you to leave so they could move?

Gerb said...

~j- Yes, in every sense of the word.

Chelle- I was a little mad at first but I got over it.

Becky- Glad to be a source of entertainment. This must have been a good one for you to leave me a comment!

cari- Yeah...

Cami- It was a complete shock. But wait until you hear a couple of others I've got up my sleeve...

S.P.- If someone was there for me to come unglued at, I would have.

JJ- Maybe you have to know my parents, but they were great with it. I was the first kid to actually leave home (I have 2 older siblings) so they were a little excited about that.

Trish- You and Chip. He said he same thing - it still makes him sad. I actually find it pretty hilarious now, but at the time it was simply... words escape me.

Not Mum- It's pretty unbelievable. But your story was a doozy, too.

Gina- Totally real. And there are more. I just have to get to the point where I have mulled them over in my mind enough to tell them well.

Allen- Do you think it will help to see the future?

Tchn5th- I was worried this one may have gotten out already - I couldn't remember which ones Allen had already spilled.

Pam- Nice, eh? I think this was somewhere in the time after I stopped writing you 2 letters a day...

Holmes- Because you know my family and the craziness therein, that's why!

Sarah- Promise me you will both treat me like I'm normal the next time you see me...

Shellie- I did call. I told them I was not moving to Gardena but staying with my friend and they were great with it. That made me a little more upset initially, but it turned out to be a good thing. I learned some independence that I wouldn't have otherwise and I would never trade the time I had with Julie's family.

They moved suddenly because they were spontaneous like that. I'm guessing the house was cheaper than or similar cost to the apartment and they thought - why not? There were NO moving plans in the works when I left on Thursday.

Maleen- Oh, yes, very real. To my knowledge it was just a spur of the moment thing, but who knows? I am a bit crazy, and was even more so at that age.