Wednesday, November 26, 2008

So Thankful

Tomorrow is that day of the year where we give thanks for our blessings. I have been thinking for the entire month about what I would write today. I had all kinds of great ideas which included stories from my childhood, Thanksgivings now past, unanswered prayers, extended family, wonderful friends and the generosity of others. But, when it comes down to it, this is what I am most thankful for: my family.

I am thankful for a husband who works hard for the money (so hard for it, honey!) to support our family. For his ability to do pretty much anything house or car or yard related. Thankful he is as frugal-minded as I am and that we are on the same page when it comes to our household and finances. I love how service-oriented he is and that he is OK with my own whimsical desires to serve others - that he understands my need to do so. I am thankful that he loves kids as much as I do and that he's willing to support and love a whole houseful with me. I am especially thankful that he loves me enough to put up with all my weaknesses and imperfections - and I have a few. He's one of my greatest blessings.

I am thankful for kids who are nothing short of amazing. Are they perfect? Of course not. But when I hear others complaining about their teenagers' attitudes and unwillingness to contribute to their families, I realize how great we've got it here. I am a tad bit overprotective of my kids (yes, I know this and can admit it) because I love them so much. I want them home, with me, all the time, because can anyone really appreciate them like I do? (For the record, I am learning to loosen the apron strings some...) I am thankful that they know how to make good choices and that they are not afraid to do what they know is right - or to tell others what they think. I am thankful that they love each other and are loyal to each other and look out for each other. I am thankful that they put up with the crazy chaos that we call our home and that they all contribute to making it our own little piece of heaven here on earth.

Really, words cannot describe what I am feeling. Language is not sufficient to explain the emotions in my heart. Love? Thankful? Amazing? Words don't seem adequate. The thoughts of family that I hold in my heart, that float around in my head like a beautiful melody, seem to come out in a jumbled muck of words when I attempt to voice them. It is frustrating. So, let me just say again:

I am thankful for my family. So thankful.

I am thankful to have so much.

5 comments:

Gina said...

As always, so beautifully put. No much there. What a tribute to your husband especially. Happy Thanksgiving.

annette said...

Very touching post. Family. It's what it's all about. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Trish said...

Awesome...couldn't agree more!

pam said...

Amen, sister!

('cuz "amen, cousin" just doesn't sound the same.)

I feel the same about our teeny little family. :o)

Cami said...

You have one amazing family! We miss you guys. (And we also miss All-a-Boy's testimony during testimony meeting.)