Friday, August 1, 2008

Service (With a Smile): Friday

I realized something grand today. We all do small acts of service daily without even thinking about it! I came to this realization while racking my brain over what to write for today. Here are a few small kindnesses I thought of:

  • I gave up a great parking space to a cute old lady at the grocery store, and she didn't even realize it
  • I did some of my kids' chores so they wouldn't have to
  • I did laundry, made meals, and went grocery shopping (all things I don't particularly enjoy) for my family
  • I made time to look at every picture the Cowgirl drew today
My point is that we are all service-minded, I think. We just don't realize that we are!

The kindness I intentionally performed today was to bring dinner to a friend who just had a baby. That's sort of cheating because I already knew I would be doing that this week, but I'm counting it.

5 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

It's amazing just how many small acts we do each day without realizing it simply because we're used to doing them.

Maybe next week you could do small acts of disservice instead, you know, just to balance everything out

Chelle! said...

I love how you have started so many of us thinking about doing random acts of service. This is great!!!

Gerb said...

tchn5th-
Small acts of disservice.... hmmm.... (rubbing hands together)... I'll keep those to myself, though! (laughing maniacally)

chelle!-
Thanks. It has been a fun week.

Cami said...

Was it Sis Tingy who had a baby?

Gerb said...

Cami-
Sis. T is still cooking. Jenny W is who I was talkin'bout.